cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeslot for Agent-CallHome / multiple schedules?

I know that all Agents will perform their scan at local time according to the central policy for the total FNMS environment. We urgently require a different schedule for certain servers.
There is an idea out there in status Planed but no time frame:
https://flexerasfdc.ideas.aha.io/ideas/FXONE-I-48

I was thinking that I could simply wait until "after call home time slot" to manually set my new scheule using a previsiosly created schedule file
(e.g /opt/managesoft/bin/ndschedag "/var/tmp/weekly_sunday_03am_within30m.nds")

doing reverse engeneering on the IIS Logs I could identify 2 major timeslots for the download of the schedule
a) between 10:00 - 11:00
b) between 22:00 - 23:00
could someone confirm this to me please - since I'm also getting schedule downloads pretty much any time, but this could be due to reboots, different timezones, newinstallations etc..

Thanks,

Steffen

(1) Solution

Thanks a lot Chris - that was exactly the info I was hoping to get!

By the way

Tests on my OnPrem2023R2 indicated that the timeslot of policy downloading seams not that relevant as long as the manual "overwrite" policy is happening before the online policy scan start date. I will implement this now using 4 manual ndschedags:
1) 01:30 a.m
2) 02:45 a.m (15 minutes before new set manual scan time)
3) 01:30 p.m
4) 4:45 p.m (15 minutes before online policy scan time to be overwritten)
I know that I cannot be 100% certain that it will work in all cases but i think this is good enough for us.
To make it even more "solid" I set "Run last misswed event" to off in the online scheduel  since we can live without it.

Hope the new "Targeted inventory device scheduling" will be available soon for on Prem.

Steffen

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You are on the right track for understanding when policy may be updated. Default triggers for doing this are:

• At a random time between 12:05am and 1:05am, and 12:05pm and 1:05pm (local time on each computer)
  • After reboot
  • When a new network connection is detected

As you're suggesting, I think you may find it difficult to catch all possible times when policy may be updated and run your custom ndschedag command to override the schedule settings in the policy. If you want to control the scheduling of inventory gathering yourself then you may want to consider not having the agent installed, but instead just arranging to run ndtrack in a standalone manner when needed.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks a lot Chris - that was exactly the info I was hoping to get!

By the way

Tests on my OnPrem2023R2 indicated that the timeslot of policy downloading seams not that relevant as long as the manual "overwrite" policy is happening before the online policy scan start date. I will implement this now using 4 manual ndschedags:
1) 01:30 a.m
2) 02:45 a.m (15 minutes before new set manual scan time)
3) 01:30 p.m
4) 4:45 p.m (15 minutes before online policy scan time to be overwritten)
I know that I cannot be 100% certain that it will work in all cases but i think this is good enough for us.
To make it even more "solid" I set "Run last misswed event" to off in the online scheduel  since we can live without it.

Hope the new "Targeted inventory device scheduling" will be available soon for on Prem.

Steffen