cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points rule set

Hi I have been trying to get the following points rule set to work, without any success:

1-4 cores equals 2 points.

Above 4 cores each core is 0.5 points.

That is 2 cores equals 1 point, with a minimum of 4 cores.

Can anybody specify what point rule set I need to use and how to configure it?

Anonymous
(11) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Configuring a points rule set with rules like the following for the license type "Core Points" would model the conditions you have described:

image.png

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Didn’t work. It calculated everything with 0.5. It is like I can't get it to calculate several scenarios or it can't calculate anything that doesn't have any number as max cores. If I put it to calculate 2 points it works if I have max cores any number, but  I believe I had troubles calculating when max cores was not set to any number.

Core points.JPG

 

Anonymous

@Anony8080 - Can you include a Screen Image of the Consumption tab of your license with this Point Rule set?  Make sure that the Number of Cores is included in the view, along with the calculated consumption.  It should be calculating as follows:
- A computer with only 1 core should consume 2 points

- A computer with only 2 cores should consume 2 points

- A computer with 4 cores should consume 2 points

- Any number of cores above 4 is calculated be dividing by 2 and rounding up

Here you go. When there is 1 or 2 cores it does only show a consumption of 1 point.

CorePointScreen.JPG

 

Anonymous

Can you also show the Identification tab of the license? (Metric and linked Point Rule).  Any your Point Rule table itself, please.

Here are the license type and core point rule set from the identification tab and the last screen dump is from the general tab in the point rule set.  Then I double checked the points rules tab and there are the same rules as above. I do also have a colleague with issues (the only colleague I know trying to create own rule with several parts).

idtab_licensetype.JPG

 

idtab_pointruleset.JPG

 

 

PointsRule.JPG

Anonymous

I can't immediately spot what is going on there. I wonder if the "3+ cores" rule is somehow getting applied to devices with 1 & 2 cores.

To troubleshoot, what happens if you change the number of points per core on the "3+ cores" rule? Do the number of points calculated for devices with 1 & 2 cores change from 1 to something else when you do that?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Yes, I changed it to 4 points and no 1 core consume 4 points, 2 cores consume 8 points and 4 cores consumes 16 points.

Anonymous

So that suggests that "3+ cores" rule is getting applied regardless of the number of cores. i.e. That rule is applied even if the number of cores on the device is less than the minimum number of cores specified on the rule.

I'm not sure why that would be the case - it doesn't seem right, or we're both missing something here. Maybe somebody else has some insight!

I have tested this in on FNMS-OP 2021 R1 instance and was able to recreate the problem.  Actually, I saw some devices correctly use the point table and other devices it did not.  When I tried to find a pattern, I discovered the following:

1) For a bare metal computer, or an orphan VM that is not linked to a host, the Point table was used correctly when the number of cores was less than 4.  A device with 2 cores would consume 2 points.  A devices with 1 core would consume 2 points.

2) For a virtual machine linked to a host, the 0.5 point factor was applied - which is not correct.  It looks to me like when there is a VM Linked to a host, the logic looks at the number of cores on the HOST to get the Point Factor and then applies that factor against the number of cores on the VM.  For example, there is a VM with 2 virtual cores and this VM is linked to a Host with 8 cores.  FNMS looks at the 8 cores and sees in the Point table that the point factor is 0.5.  It then takes 0.5 times the number of cores on the VM (2) to calculate 1 point consumed.

Interesting finding. Thanks. I have put a case to your support about this (guessing that would be the next step?).

Anonymous