cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating System Build number or Version

Hi,

Is there a way to determine the  build number or version number of the Operating systems?

Thanks

Tom

(1) Solution

This level of detail about the OS is not maintained in FlexNet Manager at the present time.  FNMS is focused on License Management, so from an OS level, information will be normalized to the level of how it is licensed.  For example, we will show that "Windows 10 Enterprise" is installed.

Flexera has a complementary "Data Platform" product that can normalize software at a more detailed level than FNMS does to provide additional information such as End of Life information and Software Vulnerability information.

View solution in original post

(13) Replies

Thanks for your Post, we also miss this information about the build version and it would be good if there is a field for it??

beste Regards

Roman

If you are On Prem, you can query the database directly. looking at the ImportedInstallerEvidencee

you can link to imported computers to know which machine is which. 

SELECT distinct
IC.[ComplianceConnectionID]
,IC.[ExternalID]
,IC.[ComputerName]
,IC.[OperatingSystem]
,IC.[IPAddress]
,IC.[InventoryDate]
,IC.[HardwareInventoryDate]
,IC.[ServicesInventoryDate]
,IIE.*
/* ,IFE.FileName
,IFE.FilePath
,IFE.FileSize
*/
FROM [FNMP].[dbo].[ImportedComputer_MT] IC
join ImportedInstalledInstallerEvidence_MT IIIE
on (IIIE.ComplianceConnectionID = IC.ComplianceConnectionID) and (IIIE.ExternalComputerID = IC.ExternalID)
join ImportedInstallerEvidence_MT IIE
on (IIE.ComplianceConnectionID = IIIE.ComplianceConnectionID) and (IIE.ExternalInstallerID = IIIE.ExternalInstallerEvidenceID)

where IIE.DisplayName like '%Windows 10%'

Thank you for your reply. We were looking for a "field" we could add to a report. We don't have direct access to query the database, but could ask the DB team to get this information. Although this would give us the info as a once off it would be a practical solution for regular reporting.

Hi,

If your DB team has access, I assume you're running FNMS on prem. What you are looking for, requires some effort, but is possible:

• Have a  custom field for "Build number" added to your inventory devices. Please see FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference for details on how to do that.
  • The Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class does contain a BuildNumber attribute, but the FNMS Agent does not seem to collect it by default. You should be able to add this attribute to the wmitrack.ini. As a result, the data should show up in the FNMSInventory database.
SELECT
	c.ComputerCN
	,hc.Class
	,hp.Property
	,hv.Value
FROM Computer c
JOIN HardwareObject ho
	ON c.ComputerID = ho.ComputerID
JOIN HardwareClass hc
	ON ho.HardwareClassID = hc.HardwareClassID
JOIN HardwareValue hv
	ON ho.HardwareObjectID = hv.HardwareObjectID
JOIN HardwareProperty hp
	ON hv.HardwarePropertyID = hp.HardwarePropertyID
WHERE hc.Class = 'Win32_OperatingSystem'
	AND hp.Property = 'BuildNumber'
  • You can then use a Business Import to update your custom field.

From there you should be able to include the custom field in your normal WebUI filtering, reports and management views.

The integration process can scale and you might not want to start all over again in a  month or so. So if you're planning on going that route, I suggest you think about any other data you want to add as well.

Best regards,

Markward

We need the Build Version of the Operating System not the Servicepack? Is this information in the DB FNMSCompliance?

@romanmensch  - If you read the prior post from @mfranz on this post, FlexNet Manager does not capture the OS Build Number.  We do not extract this with our adapters when reading from SCCM and the FlexNet Manager Agent does not capture this either.

However, mfranz has posted a suggestion on how FNMS can be customized to capture this attribute from the Windows WMI and bring it into FlexNet Manager.

Kirk

then we try it over Windows WMI query. Thanks thats very helpfull for us.

where can I configure the wmitrack.ini ?

Hi,

wmitrack.ini is a component of the Flexera agent that are installed on servers/workstation.

You can find them under the following path:

c:\program files (x86)\managesoft\tracker

This is the standard installation, if you installed the agent on other drive please go there. 

After you modify the ini file, you should run again the inventory for that server.

Thanks for this Information. I see the correct Value "Version" in the wmitrack.ini File. So it is there and I do not have to complete it.

And the NDI File ist correctly send to the Server with the Value "Version" in the File.

Do you know where i can find this in the Database FNMS Compliance?

<Hardware Class="Win32_OperatingSystem" Name="Microsoft Windows 10 Education|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3" Evidence="WMI">
<Property Name="Version" Value="10.0.18362"/>

Thanks for Reply. Best Regards Roman

I don't think you will find this value in the FNMS compliance database, but you would find it in the inventory database. Here is a SQL query that can be run against the inventory database to get you started:

SELECT c.ComputerCN, Version = hv.Value
FROM dbo.Computer c
	JOIN dbo.HardwareObject AS ho ON ho.ComputerID = c.ComputerID
	JOIN dbo.HardwareClass AS hc ON hc.HardwareClassID = ho.HardwareClassID AND hc.Class = 'Win32_OperatingSystem'
	JOIN dbo.HardwareValue AS hv ON hv.HardwareObjectID = ho.HardwareObjectID
	JOIN dbo.HardwareProperty AS hp ON hp.HardwarePropertyID = hv.HardwarePropertyID AND hp.Property = 'Version'

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank you so I receive the desired VIEW and can implement this in the Beacon / BA

That's great an thank you very much.

This level of detail about the OS is not maintained in FlexNet Manager at the present time.  FNMS is focused on License Management, so from an OS level, information will be normalized to the level of how it is licensed.  For example, we will show that "Windows 10 Enterprise" is installed.

Flexera has a complementary "Data Platform" product that can normalize software at a more detailed level than FNMS does to provide additional information such as End of Life information and Software Vulnerability information.