cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSFG Power BI Premium P1 (server or user?)

Slight confusion on an MSFT Power BI product from a licensing perspective:

Description: PwrBIPremP1 ShrdSvr ALNG SubsVL MVL
SKU: GSL-00002

1. FNMS sku recognition describes it as:
    1. Microsoft Power BI Premium Plan 1 multilanguage 1 Month Subscriptions-VolumeLicense Enterprise Agreement (Additional Product)
  2. License type: Named User

MSFT describes it as: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Power BI Premium is a tenant-level Microsoft 365 subscription available in two SKU (Stock-Keeping Unit) families:

P SKUs (P1-P5) for embedding and enterprise features, requiring a monthly or yearly commitment, billed monthly, and includes a license to install Power BI Report Server on-premises.

SO within FNMS should this license be configured to count and consume servers/server cores, or users?

(1) Solution

@jq3i4h9u - I agree that this seems to be confusing.

Power BI is a component of Office 365 and would therefore typically be licensed as a subscription based on assigning users to your Office 365 subscription, and would therefore be a "Named User" subscription license in FlexNet Manager.

But, as indicated in your Microsoft link, there is mention that Power BI Premium can also be licensed by "capacity".  I found a couple of hits on software reseller sites for your SKU and the cost per license is close to $50,000 USD.  That does not seem like a User-based license, it seems like a capacity-based license.

Based on the following link, the entitlement that you purchased is for an On-Premises Instance of Power BI Server that provides up to 16 cores of capacity.  Therefore, you should submit a request to Support to get the Flexera SKU Library updated.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

@jq3i4h9u - I agree that this seems to be confusing.

Power BI is a component of Office 365 and would therefore typically be licensed as a subscription based on assigning users to your Office 365 subscription, and would therefore be a "Named User" subscription license in FlexNet Manager.

But, as indicated in your Microsoft link, there is mention that Power BI Premium can also be licensed by "capacity".  I found a couple of hits on software reseller sites for your SKU and the cost per license is close to $50,000 USD.  That does not seem like a User-based license, it seems like a capacity-based license.

Based on the following link, the entitlement that you purchased is for an On-Premises Instance of Power BI Server that provides up to 16 cores of capacity.  Therefore, you should submit a request to Support to get the Flexera SKU Library updated.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Thank you! We used the cost breadcrumb too and arrive at the same conclusion
We suspect the same issue with these MSFT SKUs as well. Opening a case.

JZV-00002
NK4-00002
SEJ-00002
SEQ-00001
SPU-00002