cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Device Type classification

Question – what determines how a device gets classified as Virtual Machine vs Computer vs VM Host? I have seen anomalies with RedHat servers, but are now seen issues with HP and Dell laptops identifying as VM Host (instead of Computer). These systems have all been physical PCs. Is it an application that is installed or some sort of hardware specification?
(1) Solution

Here is a little overview over the inventory device types and how they are assigned by FNMS. Please understand that this is tool specific and these terms might be used differently in other tools or contexts. A few details about this can also be found in the online help.

• Virtual Machine
    A device (ComplianceComputer) is classified as VM if it comes with virtual machine data (VirtualMachine). Also it can be recognized during the import process by its manufacturer or model. I don't remember if it happens in the reader or writer, but this can be checked.
  • VM Host
    Any inventory that has VMs linked to it (being referenced in the VirtualMachine table in the HostComplianceComputer column) should automatically be listed as VM host.
  • Computer
    Any other machine should be a "computer".

From a compliance perspective, the inventory device type has no direct effect. It may get a bit more complicated in cases with host licensing where VM-to-Host relations do play a role.

An automatic separation between "Device" (in the sense of Client) and "Server" licenses is not possible out of the box. You could build such construct using Business Imports to allocate devices to licenses directly. This could incorporate device filters by OS, computer name schemas , IPs, subnets, you name it.

Another option would be to assign your devices to corporate units ("Client" and "Server") and then restrict your license to either one of these. But keep in mind that restrictions do not work for user based licenses.

Also Assets can be used to further describe the nature of a device, but this has no impact on licensing.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
Diana: For a desktop/laptop with Windows 10, if the "Hyper-V" service is enabled, then FNMS will classify the computer as a VM Host as it now has the capability of hosting Guest VMs. Regards, Kirk
Hi, I have the same query at the moment, both to do with how devices are classified and assigned against FlexNet Licenses. The instance of FlexNet (2018 R1) I am using classifies physical servers as computer devices so these go against device licenses. VM Hosts and Virtual Machines are also being assigned against Device licenses in FlexNet but i would have expected these to go against server licences.

Here is a little overview over the inventory device types and how they are assigned by FNMS. Please understand that this is tool specific and these terms might be used differently in other tools or contexts. A few details about this can also be found in the online help.

• Virtual Machine
    A device (ComplianceComputer) is classified as VM if it comes with virtual machine data (VirtualMachine). Also it can be recognized during the import process by its manufacturer or model. I don't remember if it happens in the reader or writer, but this can be checked.
  • VM Host
    Any inventory that has VMs linked to it (being referenced in the VirtualMachine table in the HostComplianceComputer column) should automatically be listed as VM host.
  • Computer
    Any other machine should be a "computer".

From a compliance perspective, the inventory device type has no direct effect. It may get a bit more complicated in cases with host licensing where VM-to-Host relations do play a role.

An automatic separation between "Device" (in the sense of Client) and "Server" licenses is not possible out of the box. You could build such construct using Business Imports to allocate devices to licenses directly. This could incorporate device filters by OS, computer name schemas , IPs, subnets, you name it.

Another option would be to assign your devices to corporate units ("Client" and "Server") and then restrict your license to either one of these. But keep in mind that restrictions do not work for user based licenses.

Also Assets can be used to further describe the nature of a device, but this has no impact on licensing.