cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM WAS Family Edition License model needed

My question to the community is to confirm if you/your clients own the same license and would benefit from an updated license model.

Below is the IBM product that has changed and requires a Flexera model for consumption. I have had a case open for 18 months now, but it is not being prioritised. 

My large financial services client have entitlement to IBM WAS Family Edition and want to understand how to manage it in FNMS. 

How it works:
Process Value Unit (PVU) entitlements IBM WebSphere Application Server Family Edition provides Process Value Unit (PVU) entitlement for the bundled product editions relative to their value. For every one PVU of WebSphere Application Server Family Edition purchased, you are entitled to deploy: 1 PVU of WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment or 4 PVUs of WebSphere Application Server or 8 PVUs of WebSphere Application Server Liberty Core. D1KI9LL IBM WebSphere Application Server Family Edition Processor Value Unit (PVU) from WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment Trade Up License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months

I want to know from the content team if they are creating a bundle for it that will recognize the various configurations/deployment scenarios, or if there is advice on how to configure it on FNMS.

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can't think of any way to fully automate the calculation of a single license consumption across multiple products like this in FlexNet (and having the Flexera content team configuring a bundle wouldn't change that).

One approach would be:

1. Configure 3 license records (one each for (A) WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, (B) WebSphere Application Server, and (C) WebSphere Application Server Liberty Core).
  2. Manually manage the purchased counts across these 3 licenses such that A + (B / 4) + (C / 😎 <= total WebSphere Application Server Family Edition PVUs purchased. As the consumption of the various licenses changes over time, it may make sense to adjust the purchased counts across the 3 license records to avoid them showing as "at risk" as much as possible.

This may not exactly model all the subtleties of how this entitlement from IBM works, especially if when drilling into the detail there are more constraints or rights than you have described in your summary. In particular, peak PVU consumption would be measured against each license record independently here, which may not strictly reflect how IBM would look at it. However this approach would likely give a reasonable approximation or a starting view of consumption for you to them add some manual tracking and management on top of.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you Chris.

We have implemented similar as a work around - actually having 4 licenses with compliance only measured in the family edition license which has a custom metric, for which consumption must be entered manually. I agree that a bundle may not be the solution.

As IBM is a key vendor relationship for Flexera I am hoping for development of a license model in support of what IBM is doing and allows for accurate measurement.

Kind Regards
Nico Erasmus
Email: nicoe@blueturtle.co.za | Mobile: +27 (0)76 641 9424
Tel: (011) 206 5600 | www.blueturtle.co.za |LinkedIn
[cid:D8E46F9C-5111-4ABF-BF56-9FE0EAD9ADA9]

Blue Turtle Technologies (Pty) Limited | Reg. no.: 2003/002610/07 | http://www.blueturtle.co.za
Gauteng : Tel: +27 (0)11 206 5600 | Fax: +27 (0)86 609 8413 | Midridge Office Estate, International Business Gateway, cnr New Road & Sixth Street, Midrand, 1685 | P O Box 31331, Kyalami, 1684
Western Cape: Tel: +27 (0)21 741 0939 | Fax: +27 (0)21 552 7764 | BG01, The Forum, Northbank Lane, Century City, 7446

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of Blue Turtle Technologies (Pty) Ltd. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender. Thank you.