cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Thought Linux Agents Didn't Automatically Run An Inventory After Installation Like Windows ... But I Have Three That Ran a Hardware Inventory.

Hi all ...

I recently deployed the inventory agent, manually, to three different flavors of Linux:

• Ubuntu 20
  • Amazon Linux 2
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.7

Shortly after the agent was deployed, I noticed a familiar looking file with a slightly different name - mgs1-tracker.log.  When I opened that file, I saw that the agent ran a hardware inventory, and when I checked the InventoryReport table, I saw entries for all three servers.  The HWDate field had a value but the SWDate and FilesDate values were null, which is what I'd expect if all that ran was a hardware inventory.  I was very surprised to see this.

I thought that you had to manually run the ndtrack command in Linux (or wait for the schedule to kick in) before being able to see anything from a Linux machine.  But here's a case where the hardware inventory occurred on its own automatically.  Is my belief mistaken or is this something recent? I've never seen the file name mgs1-tracker.log referenced anywhere.  (The agent version was 2022R1).

--Mark

(3) Replies

What are your Inventory Settings for Inventory Agent Schedule?

I have found that if Run last missed event is checked, it will run at least a hardware inventory. 

Here are my settings:

tempo.png

As you can see, "run last missed event" is not checked.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

On Unix-like operating systems, policy will be applied and inventory gathered (with logging in a file named mgs1-tracker.log) if the MGSFT_RUNPOLICY setting is set to 1 (true) in the mgsft_rollout_response file that is used to bootstrap the agent.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)