cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update the system when FNMS on-premise is migrated from one environment to other

Hi All,

This is Srikanth and we are currently migrating our FNMS on-premise envirnment from one data center to another which will change the sourcename/hostname of all the servers(Web App, Batch, Beacon, DB & Reporting). In this case how do we re-configure the source names & connection strings wherever required to make the new environment work?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Srikanth M

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Srikanth,

The most straight forward approach would be to re-run configuration scripts where possible. You should have a look at the forceupdateconfig option. This should take care of everything related to the platform itself:

• Accounts: If you used local accounts to run Application Pools, Services and Scheduled Tasks, you may need to replace them.
  • Databases: The registry has the connection details
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Reporter\CurrentVersion

Additionally you will have to check your compliance connections and business imports. Also you may want to check config files if you use staging applications, to update staging database details there.

Beacon parent connections will need updates. This can be done manually from the Beaocn UI.

If you are currently using the agent, you need a strategy to make sure that existing installations can still communicate after the name change. A DNS alias might be useful to guide existing agents to renamed Beacon servers.

If you have an architecture diagram for your FNMS environment, it should help you not to forget anything important.

Best regards,

Markward

Also see the following which may be helpful:

1. Discussion thread which has some tips that may apply for this scenario (depending on exactly what you have in place that is changing): FNMS 2018 R1 - Cloning Prod to Dev
  2. Related KB article: How do I check / change the FNMSDatawarehouse connection?
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)