cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allocate consumption to multiple licences when restrictions are not available

bmaudlin
By Level 9 Champion
Level 9 Champion

Hi Guys,

We have a scenario where we have a number of the same licences however these have been procured separately for their market. As these licences are IBM Floating and Authorised User I do not have the normal option to restrict the licence to the market so consumption of the licence to the market would be automatic. 

What is the best way of allocating consumption to a licence when restrictions are not available, as currently all the consumption globally is being allocated by the system to one of the licences rather than being spread out correctly.

Thoughts?

Ben

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For floating user licenses, you're normally thinking about concurrent use of the software. This will typically be controlled by some kind of license server, and there's not a meaningful single "consumption" figure that gets tracked FlexNet Manager Suite / Flexera One ITAM. (FWIW, FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications is a separate solution from Flexera that is targeted at reporting and analyzing this kind of usage so that use and spend can be optimized.)

For IBM Authorized User licenses, I'm not sure that current capabilities in FlexNet Manager Suite / Flexera One ITAM would help a great deal to automate that in a scenario where users have to be partitioned amongst several licenses. One approach may be to come up your own logic to do this partitioning based on whatever data is appropriate for the particular software in question, and potentially look at using a business adapter to allocate users to licenses.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)