cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS2023R1 Agent AutoUpdate on Windows - CAUTION!!

Just one big WORD OF CAUTION:

Enabling the settings: Upgrade selected Platforms/Targets to Version 20.1 (latest) did cause big issue on Windows for us.
we just upgraded OnPrem 2022R2 to 2023R1 - having most Agents still on 2022R1

I did kill about 1000 Windows Agents previously running fine with Version 2022R1.

According to update settings they received an update via policy, but installation went wrong (msi error 1603) - looks like removal of old agent did not work correctly.

I opened up a support case - (#02780638)

I really expexted this to work out of the box, since there should be quite some FlexeraONE customers getting upgrades monthly I would have expected?!

You may want to run detailed tests yourself before simply "enabling" AutoUpdates in large environments.

Re-Installing Windows Agent using 3rd party tools ensure you are not targeting any FlexnetManager Application or Beacon Servers!

Have fun - I certanly have 😉

(1) Solution
This is finally confirmed AS a defekt in the Produkt.
And the suggested workaround is:
Re-install the Agent.

View solution in original post

(14) Replies

HI

Can you confirm if this happened with windows server only & also can you verify below setting in your previous install agent config.

; under HKLM during uninstall.
;DESTRUCTIVEUNINSTALL = 1

Hi,

I can confirm the following:

• Windows Server Only (we do not have any Client Devices though)
  • Linux on ZOS + Sun/Solaris SPARC upgrade working fine (others  not tested)
  • [Custom Uninstall Settings]

; If set, forcibly removes any Tracker, Launcher & Schedule Agent registry keys
    ; under HKLM during uninstall.
    ; 1 is causing trouble updating Agents automatically
    DESTRUCTIVEUNINSTALL = 0

• Problem can be reproduced
  • Once the failed upgrade process has finished - all Data is cleaned out from c:\Program Files (x86)\Managesoft - except "Launcher" dir and "mgssetup.ini"

Agent upgrade takes place however its cleaning previous beacon reporting config. Non need to remove client. You may ask your SCCM admin to create one script & run below command  in each server. This will update beacon policy & your agent shall start reporting back.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Policy Client

mgspolicy -t Machine -o DownloadRootURL=https://Beaconserver/ManageSoftDL

Thanks for your support durgeshsingh ,

as described above, unfortunatly there are no Agent binaries left over! no mgspolicy, no tracker... only Launcher!

the only option I have is to re-install the Agents which we have done mostly already - but the actual issue is still remaining: "AutomaticUpdate for Windows is failing and leads to dead agents" and should be fixed by Flexera so my expectation.

This is finally confirmed AS a defekt in the Produkt.
And the suggested workaround is:
Re-install the Agent.

For reference, here is a link to the known issue related to this particular thread:

IOK-1057570: Auto upgrade of agents from version 2022 R1.4 (18.4) or later to version 2023 R1 (20.1) or later fails with Windows Installer error 2711: The specified Feature name ('vdiendpointagent') not found in Feature table.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Seems to be a showstopper to upgrade to latest version for on-prem users. Will there be a hotfix soon?

mpaladino
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Flexera will be releasing a hot fix to address this issue. Once the hot fix is available it will be announced here with details on how to obtain it.

mpaladino
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

A hot fix is now available for On-Premise customer in the PLC under FNMS 2023 R1. The hot fix is labelled FNMS 2023 R1.2 On-Premise agent deployment. It contains a readme.txt with instructions on how to deploy it. It needs to be deployed on both the Presentation and Inventory servers.

Hi,

how to undeploy, if something went wrong? In readme.txt there is only description for deployment, but what about a rollback?

"set-executionpolicy Bypass" in Powershell as Admin is also necessary. This is not given in readme.txt. Please adjust.

Hi,

is Linux(i386) not supported anymore in this HotFix?

InvSettings_InvAgentAutoDeploy.png

There is no "i386" Linux in recent releases of the agent. This was removed as part of the changes noted here: Supported operating systems updated.

You may wish to use the "Linux (i686)" package instead moving forward for supported operating systems.

See here for details of operating systems supported by the agent in the 2023 R1 release: Prerequisite Software.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)