cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: Unable to create temporary directory "/root/ndtrack.1373.12007.120703"

We are using Light inventory scanner on Linux.

We need to change the temp folder location of the extracted binaries, to a custom folder
Because "/" is often Read-Only
What file or value controls this temp folder location?

In our third party tool, ndtrack.sh and ndtrack.ini are being deployed to custom folder
//servername/opt/flexera/inventory

However, we are receiving error on some systems
ERROR: Unable to create temporary directory "/root/ndtrack.1373.12007.120703".
Info Ndtrack EC: 104: Execution failed.

Below is from Flex Inventory documentation:
"During Light inventory scanner deployment
You may execute ndtrack.sh as root (recommended),

At each invocation, ndtrack.sh:
First determines the current operating system, and extracts the binaries appropriate to that platform to a unique folder under the home directory of the current user, provided that this has sufficient space and is not the root
directory (/)."

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The documentation information you've found is accurate (with the addition that /var/tmp is also checked in addition to the current user's home directory). Unfortunately the directory used by the ndtrack.sh script for temporarily extracting the files used for gathering inventory cannot be overridden.

To elaborate: the logic the script uses for choosing the extraction directory is to check the following two directories in order:

1. $HOME
  2. /var/tmp

The script uses the first directory found where there is sufficient free space on the filesystem to hold the extracted content.

The script assumes that it has write access to the chosen location.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The documentation information you've found is accurate (with the addition that /var/tmp is also checked in addition to the current user's home directory). Unfortunately the directory used by the ndtrack.sh script for temporarily extracting the files used for gathering inventory cannot be overridden.

To elaborate: the logic the script uses for choosing the extraction directory is to check the following two directories in order:

1. $HOME
  2. /var/tmp

The script uses the first directory found where there is sufficient free space on the filesystem to hold the extracted content.

The script assumes that it has write access to the chosen location.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)