cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download configuration: Download failed: Access to the path is denied

Hello, 

When I try to open the Inventory Beacon: it returns the following error: Download configuration: Download failed: Access to the path is denied  ( see attachment).

• I am running as an administrator.
  • In IIS the Anonymous Authentication is enabled
  • The InventoryBeacon.log has no error message.

Can you advise?

Thanks!

(1) Solution

So I've found the source of the problem and it has nothing to do with IIS:

Client had McAfee installed on the VM, the app prevented any attempt to modify the Logic.ps1 file by the InventoryBeacon.exe

Solution: Asked Endpoint Team to create an exception for the app to allow it to modify the file.

Works perfectly now.

View solution in original post

(7) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Andrei,

Could you check the IIS logs? Do you see an error there?

And maybe also check in which context the "World Wide Web Publishing Service" runs. And also the identity of the Application Pools. Do these accounts/identities have proper access to all folders?

Best regards,

Markward

Hi Markward, 

So it seems like every time I enter the server, the "World Wide Web Publishing Service" is disabled and IIS stopped. 

I manually have to start both of them. Do you think this might be the problem?

The identities of the Application Pools have proper access.

Also for logs, I couldn't find any. Seems like the IIS does not create said logs. 

IIS logs can be found in %SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\LogFiles and the file names usually have the date in them.  If you checked here and are not finding anything, perhaps IIS isn't staying up after you restart it?  Perhaps the Event Viewer might have error messages related to IIS services.

--Mark

I also think it's an IIS problem, seeing that every time I log on the server, I have to manually start World Wide Web Publishing Service and then IIS, something might prevent IIS from staying up.
I can't find any log files at all in the IIS logs (%SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\LogFiles) and the Event viewer shows nothing wrong with the IIS, so I'm pretty much out of ideas.

@andreidrexler  please check once event viewer logs.

Navigate to Windows Logs > System

So I've found the source of the problem and it has nothing to do with IIS:

Client had McAfee installed on the VM, the app prevented any attempt to modify the Logic.ps1 file by the InventoryBeacon.exe

Solution: Asked Endpoint Team to create an exception for the app to allow it to modify the file.

Works perfectly now.

Very insightful observation. Thanks for sharing!
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)