cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumption for Oracle license of "Oracle Processor" type is unclear

Dear reader,

I have an Oracle license of "Oracle Processor" type.

It can be found on 2 virtual machines with the same processor type "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz".

Both have 1 Processor and 4 Cores.

Flexera is calculating for one device 6 and for the other 12 Consumed points.

Can someone explain this result?

I added a png file to show the situation.

Thanks.

(7) Replies
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Normal Oracle Processor in Flexera calculate the consumption on physical host. Which means Processors x Cores x Core Factor ex 2 processors x 12 Cores each x 0,5 (intel) = 12 Oracle processors.

I cant explain why whats seams to be your two physical hosts gives different consumption.
The only thing I can come up with is that you are using a SUN server at the top of the list (core factor 0,25 which would give consumption of 6)
What kind of virtualisation are you using and architecture?

Hello mag00_75,

Thanks for your reaction.
Unfortunately I have to cover some parts of picture due to customer confidential reasons.
I have found the following:
The cluster hierarchy information is useful in calculating the license position for applications from some specific software vendors.
For example, a publisher may require you to buy an application license for the whole cluster if the application is installed on a virtual machine that is dynamically moved between the hosts of an Oracle VM cluster.
Also, the processor-specific properties (such as CPU affinity) are required for calculating the compliance position for Oracle processor licenses.

And indeed there are differences found in the Core affinity field what explains the difference in Consumption.
So, the explanation is there.

Thanks again.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The hidden names in the screenshot make it hard to guess exactly what type of record is line is detailing, it looks like you may have 2 physical hosts in a single pool where you're seeing the consumption of 12 Oracle processor licenses.

If you're using a virtualization technology that Oracle treats as having "soft" partitions (such as VMware-based virtualization), you may need to license all the processors on all the hosts in the pool, not just the processors of the host that the Oracle software is currently running on. (FWIW, this is one reason why some organizations avoid running Oracle processor-licensed software on VMware - it can unexpectedly open up a large license liability.)

Could that explain what you're seeing here?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hello ChrisG,

Thanks for your reaction.
Unfortunately I have to cover some parts of picture due to customer confidential reasons.
I have found the following:
The cluster hierarchy information is useful in calculating the license position for applications from some specific software vendors.
For example, a publisher may require you to buy an application license for the whole cluster if the application is installed on a virtual machine that is dynamically moved between the hosts of an Oracle VM cluster.
Also, the processor-specific properties (such as CPU affinity) are required for calculating the compliance position for Oracle processor licenses.

And indeed there are differences found in the Core affinity field what explains the difference in Consumption.
So, the explanation is there.

Thanks again.

Hello,

I think I know what happened in this case.

We have 2 VM, 1 of the VM is associated to a cluster (OVM cluster) and the consumption of cores are on cluster level. 

The 2nd VM is no longer associated to the cluster, may be the customer decommissioned the server, because also the inventory date is no longer actual, but we as SAM where not announced about this, and the servers is still with status installed in FNMS. Now the consumption should be ok, because the Flexera are no longer counting the cluster processors. Now the question is regarding affinity. 

I know that affinity rules are set on host level, so when we audit the OVM we have the affinity for VM, CPU and processors affinity.

What happen in case when then VM is removed from cluster, I see in Flexera that host affinity check is removed, but the values for CPU and processor affinity remain, is this a normal behavior?

@adrian_ritz1 

Please allow for a couple of clarifying questions:

1. Did the 2nd VM disappear from the cluster in FNMS?
  2. Is the inventory date for the 2nd VM after the date when it was removed from the cluster?

Thanks,

Hello @JohnSorensenDK ,

1. Did the 2nd VM disappear from the cluster in FNMS?

Yes, the 2nd VM is no longer in cluster, also we receive an error that the VM don't have a host, that's why I suspect it was removed

2. Is the inventory date for the 2nd VM after the date when it was removed from the cluster?

No idea when it was removed, but also the inventory date is old, I suspect this VM is orphaned and powered off