I am having a problem with setting up of a rule, that would collect information about VMs from a new vCenter (previous one was done by a consultant I believe).
I have a http address / ip address of vCenter and an account with access. I added the account to the beacon as well.
Next I setup targets. Included all above mentioned IP addresses and selected following options:
Connection options: Attempt connection only by IP address
Rest: Not specified.
For Actions I selected action type Discovery and Inventory and enabled VMware Infrastructure (both ticks) and enabled standard ports 80 and 443.
Yet, when I run this rule, job is finished in less than a minute without any results. No devices were discovered.
Am I missing something there?
To find out if your subnet is assigned to a beacon, you need to know some subneting and how they are represented in FNMS.
You will see subnets like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx
Let say you have 192.168.0.1 this should be in the subnet 184.108.40.206/24 this will give you the following ip range 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255
So if you see this in your assigned subnet to a beacon, and your ip is in this range then the vCenter is assigned to the right beacon.
You can use this http://www.subnet-calculator.com/ to help you out with the subneting
If you have question and it's to hard, you can take the shortcut and put your ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32, in this way you will assign only the ip for the vCennter on the beacon that is required.
At least I done this because of the sites that are so badly configured by the network team.
After you assigned the vCenter subnet to the correct beacon, the inventory should take place.
Can you please check the logs for the Inventory rule? By default they should be on the Beacon server runnning the task under
You might have to sort the folder content by date to find the appropriate subfolder and logs. These logs usually contain useful indications of what actually happened.
Also, did you set up the Discovered Device with the "This device is a virtualization host or management server." option?
Actually no device was discovered with that IP address. Probably that's the cause of ny issue. But I am not sure why it's not being detected by the rule.
I do not rely on discovery results for such essential infrastructure. I create those entries from lists provided by customers.
From the beacon server, try to access the vCenter with https://vCenter/mob
You should receive a screen with authentication, you can put there the user name and password that you have, this way you can check if the connection between beacon and vCenter and credential are working.
After that from beacon server try to ping the vCenter after ip/fqdn (in some network the ICMP protocol is closed, and ping is not possible, FNMS use ping to test the server, when you use discovery method)
You should also check if the password store from beacon is correctly configured.
Type of the account configured in password store should be account on VmWare VirtualCenter
If this steps are ok, then is a problem of WebUI configuration and rule creation
And of course check the log files, they are in c:\programdata\Flexera Softare\Compliance\InventoryRule, order the folder after that, as there can be a lot of rules, every time you run a inventory, a new folder with log is created.