cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Adapter to Link Asset's with User's

I am trying to create a Business Adapter to link Assets with User's.

Reason:
We have Mac's in our environment and when they are scanned there is no calculated user (therefore user-based licenses are not calculating as desired).

Objective:
Have a business adapter run on a schedule which reads Serial Number (SN) and Username (UID) from a database and will update the Flexera asset with the assigned number.

Attempted:
Create new business adapter (success)
Link with database to pull SN and UID (success)
Add asset into business adapter (success)
Match on Serial Number:
-> Properties: Field Value (serial number)
-> Matching: Use this property for matching existing data
Assigned to User ID:
-> Does not show the options from the data pull (only show's RowNumber)
->Tried using the Flexera user ID, still only show's the RowNumber as a source

Is this possible to do? Any guidance appreciated!

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
I think the step you are missing in the adapter is a step to lookup the user.

Before the "asset" object in the adapter, add a "user" object. Uncheck the "Create" and "Update" options (so that the user record you want is looked up but not changed), and map the UID field to the appropriate user field you are using for matching.

Once you have done this, you should find the User ID value that has been looked up available in the drop down list for the asset's "Assign To User ID" property.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

This should be possible. Could you share your import file (xml) AFTER you removed any sensitive data (server name, users, passwords) from it?

Best regards,

Markward

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
I think the step you are missing in the adapter is a step to lookup the user.

Before the "asset" object in the adapter, add a "user" object. Uncheck the "Create" and "Update" options (so that the user record you want is looked up but not changed), and map the UID field to the appropriate user field you are using for matching.

Once you have done this, you should find the User ID value that has been looked up available in the drop down list for the asset's "Assign To User ID" property.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)