cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk updates of asset records

Hi all. Does Flexera (FlexNet in particular) offer a tool to do bulk updates to asset records that can be used by a hardware administrator? For example, the HP Asset Manager application comes with an app called Connect-It, which can use a spreadsheet as source data, and then map the data in the spreadsheet to records and individual fields in the asset repository database. Very simple to use without having an extensive programming background other than simple SQL scripting. Just curious if Flexera offers something similar? Thanks for any input.
(1) Solution
Natalie
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran
Hi Lee,

You can use the Business Adapter Studio to build an adapter that reads such a spreadsheet. Then the Business Importer can be scheduled to load the data at a time of your choosing. You can connect to a spreadsheet or a database, as required.

Natalie@Flexera
Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
Natalie
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran
Hi Lee,

You can use the Business Adapter Studio to build an adapter that reads such a spreadsheet. Then the Business Importer can be scheduled to load the data at a time of your choosing. You can connect to a spreadsheet or a database, as required.

Natalie@Flexera
Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that

I have a similar issue and have just seen this after posting a similar request.  I also used to be a HPAM user and use Connect-IT.  I know our Admin uses 'the beacon' to bulk upload records, but each time it means troubling him and waiting for him to get round to it.

@adrianphilpott 

As soon as you (your colleague) have developed an adapter that reads such a spreadsheet the Business Importer can be scheduled to load the data at a time of your choosing and with a given frequency, e.g. every day at 01:00 AM.

I.e. if you have another process (or manually) create the spreadsheet with data to be bulk updated and/or inserted and copied it to this pre-agreed folder from where the Business Importer would find it and process its data.

Thanks,

Thanks, @JohnSorensenDK  .  Is there a link to a user guide for how we run the Business Importer, please?  Currently I receive a weekly spreadsheet of what HW assets have been installed and which have been replaced.  I load this in MS Access and that produces two output files from this data: 1) a list of new records to create, 2) a list of records to set the status to 'Disposed'.

Each Access export file is an XLS sheet with all the field names set to those neede by my Admin to load through the beacon.  So the process to produce standard consistent sheets with the right column headings is already there.

I spoke to my Admin and I'm not sure hw knows about the Importer, unless him using 'the Beacon' is the same thing.

Thanks.

@adrianphilpott 

You may want to refer to Using FlexNet Business Adapters and then also potentially to the Business Adapter Practice Guide for developing adapters and seeing some examples.

Thanks,