cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Properties Custom Field

We are running on-prem FlexNet Manager Suite 2020 R2 and are wondering if there is a way to add a custom field for applications. Our use case is that we want to use this field to associate the team that supports the application.

(3) Solutions
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hi @jtown54,

Take a look at FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference

It should have most of the information you are looking for.

- Dan

View solution in original post

The dbo.AddTabToWebUIPropertiesPage stored procedure you have noted is be used to add a new tab. Don't use this stored procedure to add a new custom property.

The stored procedure to add a custom property is dbo.AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage. See this page for documentation: Creating Other Custom Properties.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Sure, this is what this community board is for!

Please try this one (you missed mandatory @ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs parameter again:) ) : 
EXEC dbo.AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage

@TargetTypeID = 13,
@ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs = '',
@Name = 'ZA_Application_BusinessOwner',
@CultureType = 'en-US',
@DisplayNameInPage = 'Business Owner',
@DisplayNameInReport = 'Business Owner',
@UIInsertTypeID = 2,
@UIFieldTypeID = 4,
@RelativePositionTo = 'Notes'

(20) Replies
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hi @jtown54,

Take a look at FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference

It should have most of the information you are looking for.

- Dan

Thank you very much that article did answer my questions however i have one follow up:

The document says "Execute the following in SQL Server Management Studio against your FNMSCompliance database." but in talking with my SQL expert they are saying we only have the following databases.

FNMP
FNMP Datawarehouse
FNMS Snapshot

So which DB is the FNMSCompliance database?

The Compliance database is FNMP.

Hi Gents,

I have tried the above documentation but failed. I am trying to create a custom filed called Business Owner under and application as text field.  I have tried below query but no luck:

EXEC dbo.AddTabToWebUIPropertiesPage
@TargetTypeID = 13,
@CultureType = 'en-US',
@UIInsertTypeID = 2,
@RelativeTabName = 'Section_Details'

Can someone guide me what am I missing here?

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

You are missing "ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs" parameter.

After the manual:
ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs -Mandatory. A comma-separated list (enclosed in single quotation marks) of integer subtype IDs. For the default case of no exclusions, give this parameter an empty list:
@ExcludeTargetSubTypeID = ''

Hi   

Thank you for the reply, but seems not working.

EXEC dbo.AddTabToWebUIPropertiesPage
@TargetTypeID = 13,
@CultureType = 'en-US',
@UIInsertTypeID = 2,
@RelativeTabName = 'Category'

As application does not have anything under TargetSubTypeID.

Please review.

@ppyrzynski

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

The dbo.AddTabToWebUIPropertiesPage stored procedure you have noted is be used to add a new tab. Don't use this stored procedure to add a new custom property.

The stored procedure to add a custom property is dbo.AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage. See this page for documentation: Creating Other Custom Properties.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Does tab name "Category" already exist?

Hi @ChrisG / @ppyrzynski 

I am trying to add to default application properties page, below url has under applications the tabs:

FlexNet Manager Suite System Reference System Reference - Internal Property Names for Applications (flexera.com)

This time I used below:
@TargetTypeID = 13,
@CultureType = 'en-US',
@TabName = 'Section_Details',
@UIInsertTypeID = 2,
@UIFieldTypeID = 4,

My apologies for my limited knowledge on this matter.

Thanks

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

Sure, this is what this community board is for!

Please try this one (you missed mandatory @ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs parameter again:) ) : 

@TargetTypeID = 13,
@CultureType = 'en-US',
@UIInsertTypeID = 2,
@UIFieldTypeID = 4,

Hi @ppyrzynski 

Thank you so much 🙂 It seems this has worked. Now, one more question, is it possible to search the name from users for this created field which I know from the docs not possible, I guess.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

It would have to be field of Dropdown type (@UIFieldTypeID=8). Then you can add the drop-down options using @DataSource parameter. But of what I know there is no way to dynamically populate the available options. You just define them once, when you add the custom property.

Maybe with some scripting,  (just maybe as I have not tried this and providing you are on-prem), it would be possible to create an SQL job run daily for example, that would pull unique user names from the DB, stored them in, let's call it U_LIST variable, and run this dbo.AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage stored procedure with exactly the same parameters, but with @DataSource = U_LIST (pseudo code of course). I just don't know what would  happened with existing records that have Business owner set to a user that,  at some point disappears, from the drop-down list.  Also not sure if there is any limit to the number of available options for a drop-down, and if there is no limit, how thousands of options available would affect performance. 

I would be happy to hear what other geeks here think about it, maybe someone played with this. It would certainly be useful to know how to achieve this, as this is something  that, I'm sure, many of us were looking for at some point. 

Edit: I just checked, looks like there is a limit of 100 options for a Drop-down. When I tried to create one with more than that I got
"The statement terminated. The maximum recursion 100 has been exhausted before statement completion."
So my smart idea dies here 😊

Hi @ppyrzynski 

Thanks a lot.

1. Will custom fields be available to use from Flexera Analytics i.e. Cognos for creating reports and dashboards.
  2. Can we have custom fields appear in “Column selector” and “Search” to search or sort the list view using these custom fields.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

1) No idea, we are not using Cognos.  
2) Yes

1. It may depend on the specific data source/report. If it's based on a existing data store/source, you might be out of luck. If you define your own data source (SQL), you might be able to include the custom data.

Edit: haven't touched Cognos in a long time...

Hi Champs,

I am back with one small issue, I am able to create the required files, but I am facing something strange. Application list view shows newly created filed in column selection, but vendors custom fields does not in Flexera Console. Please refer to attached images and guide. 

@mfranz @ppyrzynski @ChrisG 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

It may be that the "All Vendors" grid in the UI doesn't show custom properties like some other grids do; it could be a limitation on that particular page. I'm not sure...

Hi Champs @ChrisG @ppyrzynski @mfranz ,

Any feedback on this for me please?

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

I don't know man. Tried it on my end with the same results. I think you have found a bug. I'd go ahead and open a support case. 

Hi @ppyrzynski @ChrisG 

Thank you so much for your replies.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq