NicOla
Level 7

users not being added to SCCM Collections

Jump to solution

Over the last week we have noticed that there have been (App Portal 2019 R1) Requests raised and processed as successful but the users have not been added to the SCCM collections (we have user based deployments).

The issue seems to be with a small number of catalog items. Users raise a request, everything looks to be fine (even the request log files look ok) but then the user does not get the install and when investigated – the users has not been added to the SCCM Collection.

The rest of our 1200+ catalog items seem fine. The affected catalog items were all created at different times over the last two years. Some of the affected Catalog items require approval – and other do not. Previous requests to these catalog items did process correctly – and users were added correctly. Users who request an affected catalog item will find that they don’t get added to the SCCM collection but the same users can then go on to request a working catalog item successfully.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

1 Solution
NicOla
Level 7

Completing the following steps resolved the issues we were seeing.

1 – Updating the request processing batch size, by running the following SQL update:

update wd_appsettings set value = '600'  where keyname ='RequestProcessingBatchSize'

 

We restarted the ESD Service after this.

2 - Deleted failed inserts

We also had a number of failed inserts that were preventing valid requests from inserting correctly.

We ran a query to delete these, it looked like this

 

UPDATE WD_PackageRequests SET IsLeased = 0, LeaseExpire = NULL, Deleted = 1, Inserted = 0, InsertDate = NULL, monitor = 0 WHERE requestID in(

<--insert comma seperated request numbers here-->)

 

View solution in original post

This thread has been automatically locked due to inactivity.

To continue the discussion, please start a new thread.

6 Replies
NicOla
Level 7

We can manually add users to the SCCM collections, it just does not seem to work using App Broker.

 

 

0 Kudos
jdempsey
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

For the catalog items that are having an issue, is every request failing for every user, or are some requests successfully adding the user and others are failing?  If all requests for that catalog item are failing to add the user to the collection, try removing the deployment from the catalog item and re-adding it.  Then see if a new request is successful.  I've seen some situations where the catalog item deployment information gets out of sync (i.e. something in SCCM changes the version or CI ID), and App Broker can't fix it.  In this situation, simply removing and re-adding the deployment has fixed the issue for me.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
0 Kudos

It looks like about 4 catalog items are having the issue. The rest of the 1200+ catalog items are processing correctly.

I've also raised a case and Charles took a look at the logs and said he could see it looked like there were insert issues all right.

I have archived some of the affected catalog items  and recreated them from scratch - but will experience the same issue with them.

What is confusing is that we can manually add users to the SCCM Collections, and that the catalog items had been working fine before. I can't think of anything that changed.

If Charlie is already looking at this through a support case, I'm not sure I'd have anything to add.  When he was looking at the logs, I'm assuming he was looking at the web service logs on the SCCM server and not the logs on the App Broker server.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, instead of archiving the catalog item and creating it again from scratch, can you please try opening the existing catalog item, navigating to the Deployment>SCCM 2012 (or ConfigMgr) tab, and selecting Delete Deployment?  Then add a New Deployment.  I know that may seem trivial and might seem like the same thing, but there is a different UI path and it may (I don't know this for sure) have a different back-end API for creating the collection and deployment when done that way.  I don't know if this would have any impact or not, but could be worth a try.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
0 Kudos

Thanks Jim, I already did that, but no joy.

Charlie is helping us via a support case now. It is a strange one for sure.

When we get a solution I'll post back up here.

0 Kudos
NicOla
Level 7

Completing the following steps resolved the issues we were seeing.

1 – Updating the request processing batch size, by running the following SQL update:

update wd_appsettings set value = '600'  where keyname ='RequestProcessingBatchSize'

 

We restarted the ESD Service after this.

2 - Deleted failed inserts

We also had a number of failed inserts that were preventing valid requests from inserting correctly.

We ran a query to delete these, it looked like this

 

UPDATE WD_PackageRequests SET IsLeased = 0, LeaseExpire = NULL, Deleted = 1, Inserted = 0, InsertDate = NULL, monitor = 0 WHERE requestID in(

<--insert comma seperated request numbers here-->)