cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help needed: deploy HP Scanner TWAIN drivers via Active Directory & GPO

i need to install some drivers via Active Directory & GPO on about 15+ machines. These are the "HP Alternative Minimum TWAIN Drivers" for the HP Scanjet 5590 (Scanner).

The extracted file contains two MSIs: an ISScript8.msi & an "WIA and Minimal TWAIN for hp Scanjet 5590.msi" that has to run off of setup.exe.

i have seen the HOW-TO articles (the articles that came closest to resolving this issue) in the Macrovision knowledge base. These seemed interesting:
  • Q107978 : HOWTO: Avoiding Using Setup.exe When Deploying Setups with InstallScript Custom Actions
  • Q108166 : HOWTO: Deploying an MSI Wrapped with an InstallShield Script-Based Setup.exe
    • this one being the most promising.

However i'm facing difficulties. This is my first attempt at deploying anything via AD & GPO (yeah... picked the right one didn't i?). Can some one guide me through this process?

Problem that i am running into:

in Q108166 is ISSETUPDRIVEN item supposed to be added in: InstallShield > Direct Editor > Tables > Property
? When i try that i get the warning: "Field "Property" of table "Property": The new record duplicated primary keys of the existing record in a table." and the item is removed.

Thanks for your help!

Shams
(1) Reply

The thing that confuses me is that every where i search, on the web and knowledgebases, the documentation provided is almost excactly that which is from the knowledge base documentation Q108166 quoted:

To deploy a script-driven MSI using Active Directory (or another deployment method that requires the MSI format), you must configure the setup and the target system in the following manner:
[list=1]
  • Install ISScriptx.msi (where x denotes the version with which the setup was authored).
    The ISScriptx.msi is located in the same folder as the MSI package and can be deployed on the target machine. This installs the InstallScript engine ahead of time before the MSI package is deployed.
  • Use AdminStudio's Tuner utility or Installshield Developer or later product's Transform project to author a transform. Make the following modifications in the transform:
    [list=a]
  • Add the property ISSETUPDRIVEN to the property table via the Direct Editor and give it a value of 1
  • Add a condition to the "OnCheckSilentInstall" custom action in the InstallExecuteSequence via the Direct Editor that always resolves to False or remove the custom action from the sequence
  • Make any additional changes in the transform, such as populating the serial number, modifying shortcuts or feature states
  • Deploy the MSI package.

I feel this solution will solve my problem, AND there are many people who recommend this advice to users - so it (is it) is a simple thing to carry out(?). However the route that i'm taking (understanding from the documentation), outlined in the above post... is not working. What am i doing wrong? :confused:

Appreciate it if someone could:

• let me know where i'm goofing up and direct me to what i'm missing, i.e. provide some more detailed instructions asides from the above quoted steps.
  • try it on their own, i.e. create a deployment of the drivers through AD & GPO... confirm that it is possible...
  • am i (see above post) placing this property in the right table?

Replies would REALLY be appreciated, even if in the negative.

Initially it places a big red cross when i add ISSETUPDRIVEN to the property table:
Image no longer available.
Thereafter any attempt to create it gives the mentioned error as such:
Image no longer available.