cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSIEXEC and double-clicking MSIs

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We have created an MSI of IBM iSeries on Windows XP using repackager (adminstudio v5). When we use MSIEXEC to run the install it works fine, however, if we double click to install it, terrible things happen. After a reboot the PC will not load Windows and we get an error about not being able to find lsass.exe. If we boot into safe mode after this we can install the msi using MSIEXEC and everything is back to normal...

Any ideas as to why this is happening or what I can look at to help determine the cause of this error?

Thanks.
(1) Reply
I'm not sure what is causing this behavior, but one thing that may help you to determine it would be to generate a log file of both the setup that you run from the command line as well as one of the msi being run from double-clicking and seeing where there are differences.

For the command line log, all you need is to run:
msiexec /i"your.msi" /l*v "c:\yourlog.log"

For the msi that you double click, add the attached registry key to your system. It will enable logging for all msi applications anytime they are run. It will create a file in your temp directory with an MSI*.log name where the * is a randomly generated string.

Hope this helps.

Mark D.
Software Quality Engineer
InstallShield Software Corp.