Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk AutoCAD

SonnyLee
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Hi,

Can someone help me answer the following question from my prospect?

Looking at our current inventory of software, there are one or two items that come to mind as being somewhat un-typical. One of those is the suite of AutoDesk products, like AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Map 3D, and a number of others.

These are typically configured using a network-build utility provided by AutoDesk. Essentially, this “bundles” all the prerequisites, main install, patches, updates, etc., into a folder structure.

I’m wondering if this can somehow be imported into the AdminStudio Catalogue given that it’s not just a single MSI, Exe, etc. (the last two folders in the screenshot below do have single files, the rest have similar complicated folder structures to Civil 3D)

Have other customers been able to add AutoCad products to their Catalogues?

Thanks – B

Screenshot of main AutoDesk_2019 folder:

SonnyLee_0-1620400721524.png

Screenshot of folder structure under Civil 3D:

SonnyLee_1-1620400721528.png

Thanks,

Sonny

(1) Solution

AdminStudio supports importing several installation package formats, including .EXE and .MSI, into its Application Catalog.  For complex installers, AdminStudio will show the breakout of multiple MSI installers contained within that package. In general, you can import the output from the Autodesk utility if it falls into one of the formats that is supported.

Typically importing an application package into the Application Catalog is done for testing, customization (including wrapping, creating transforms, and repackaging), and publishing to a distribution system.

Since Autodesk has provided a utility to prepare their complex installation, it's recommended to use their tool to prepare the application and follow their instructions for publishing to a distribution system. They've made their installer complex and they have provided the solution to deploy that complex software, so that's the best and fastest way to go.

For the >95% applications out there that have no utility to prepare their installers, then AdminStudio is your "multi-tool pocketknife" solution!

(All links provided go to product documentation for the current AdminStudio version at the time of this reply.)

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

AdminStudio supports importing several installation package formats, including .EXE and .MSI, into its Application Catalog.  For complex installers, AdminStudio will show the breakout of multiple MSI installers contained within that package. In general, you can import the output from the Autodesk utility if it falls into one of the formats that is supported.

Typically importing an application package into the Application Catalog is done for testing, customization (including wrapping, creating transforms, and repackaging), and publishing to a distribution system.

Since Autodesk has provided a utility to prepare their complex installation, it's recommended to use their tool to prepare the application and follow their instructions for publishing to a distribution system. They've made their installer complex and they have provided the solution to deploy that complex software, so that's the best and fastest way to go.

For the >95% applications out there that have no utility to prepare their installers, then AdminStudio is your "multi-tool pocketknife" solution!

(All links provided go to product documentation for the current AdminStudio version at the time of this reply.)

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!