cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Acrobat Writer 5

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Aaahhhh !!!! i thought I had this working.

I am trying to repackage Adobe Acrobat Writer 5, I have a win XP pro with no office installed. I have created the MSI and tested it.

Under the user who installs it it works fine does not even try and self heal just works straight away, however if I log in as another user it tries to self heal. I have checked event viewer and it is trying to install 2 components which are the main application components so I can't remove them from the msi.

Detection of product '{}', feature 'AdobeWriterNewFeature' failed during request for component '{}'

I get this error twice - looking in orca the two components it is looking for are :

acrodist.exe_COM
acrobat.exe_COM

Any suggestions or ideas on how I can resolve this . :confused:
(7) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
😄 Right, got it cracked definately this time.

It turned out that altough I had created the msi locally on a pc without office there were loads of references to the local machine name and the compaq dmi. Removed all these references in orca.

Seems that the original errors it was showing in event viewer were red herrings, maybe the component was calling those references and so giving the error in event viewer.

Happy Days !!
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi
As you didn't have Office installed when you captured Acrobat, does this mean you don't get the Acrobat toolbar icons in Word,Excel etc... ??

I found that if I packaged Acrobat Writer without Office installed then when I installed msi on a PC that did have Office that the toolbar icons were not present in Word,Excel.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yep very true, since then I have noticed that. Also when I was trying to print to distiller this was failing.

I keep finding so many problems with it that I have resorted to using Adobe's own ditsribution kit which is a free download from their website. With this I customised the setup.exe which produces a setup.iss file and created a silent install, now sms will point to the setup.exe run silently and then reboot.

Ideally I wanted an msi but I have already spent too much time trying to get it to work.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi
Well at least you found a solution to get the app out to your users.
It's a shame you won't have any of the self-repair available.
I got mine working fine as an msi but it did take a bit of work as getting the virtual printers working took time but it was worth it in the end.
Adobe apps often cause probs!
Good luck!!
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I will revisit when I get more time and I'm still fairly new to this so when I get more experience I give it another crack !!!
can anyone post a link to the distribution kit? i have searched for it and cannot find it except mentioned in help files? the actual file cannot find. I am more than a little fed up with trying to get adobe packages into MSI format now.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi

here are the links

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/14/view.asp?id=5340

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1272

The second link is the actual download, you will need to register but it's free.