Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Suite Project with 32 and 64 Bit Packages - Problem Retreiving UninstallString

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a suite project that as 3 32-bit Setup.exe packages and 1 64-bit Setup.exe package. I am building a 32-bit Release. All is working well except that I have PowerShellScripts to retrieve the uninstall strings from the registry. The PS scripts properly retrieve the uninstall strings for the 3 32-bit packages, but not for the 64-bit package.

The PS scripts are launched as Event Actions in the suite. I suspect that this is because IS is launching the 32 bit version of PS. How can I make this work?

FWIW... the PS script works if I launch it via 64-bit PS outside of InstallShield. Do I need to do that in an InstallScript CA?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @rguggisberg 

You can try the installscript CA, however installscript will always run only in 32 bit, 

You can write a installscript code to retrieve registry information from 64 bit path.

If you want to run 64 bit powershell script in suite, then you need to set the "64-bit Setup Launcher" to Yes under Release --> setup.exe  and then try to build a installer and try again.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @rguggisberg 

Do you have separate powershell event for 32 bit and 64 bit or  single powershell script for both 32 and 64bit installer.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Varul.

Yes. Separate PS Events. InstallShield does not provide an option to use 32/64 bit PS. I suspect it is always using 32 bit version, since the Suite is 32 bit. Thinking I may have to do the 64 bit CA with an InstallScript action where I could launch the 64 bit PS. Is that right?

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @rguggisberg 

You can try the installscript CA, however installscript will always run only in 32 bit, 

You can write a installscript code to retrieve registry information from 64 bit path.

If you want to run 64 bit powershell script in suite, then you need to set the "64-bit Setup Launcher" to Yes under Release --> setup.exe  and then try to build a installer and try again.

Thanks again Varul.

Setting the "64-bit Setup Launcher" to Yes under Release  makes my PS work to get info from 64 bit registry. However:

1. I can no longer use any InstallScript CAs

2. 'Browse' buttons on SQLLogin no longer work

I will try forcing InstallScript to use 64-Bit PS.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @rguggisberg 

Yes, As i said earlier installscript CA will only in 32 bit installer, installscript CA doesnt support 64 bit, 

You need to re write your 64 bit PS script to installscript or vice versa.

0 Kudos