cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayeshSoni
Level 4

Minor Upgrade

Hello,

I have a small doubt regarding the MinorUpgrade.

I know one way to cater that is by setting it up in Upgrade section.

But what if I don't configure it will the below scenario still be a Minor Upgrade?

Msi1 which is installed on Machine: Product Version 1.2.0.10

Msi2 having similar product code but different package code and version.

Msi2 Product version 1.2.0.13

Will this still be a Minor upgrade?

Note: After Msi2 installation, at the end of log after installation I can see configuration was done successfully.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hello @JayeshSoni,

Thank you for your post.

To clarify, for a minor upgrade, the product version needs to be incremented but the product code and upgrade code cannot change. The package code can change. That is, the product code must be exactly the same between the previous version being upgraded and the minor upgrade version. The product code cannot be similar; the product code must be identical.

Also, for the product version, Windows Installer ignores the fourth field in the product version. Hence, you need to change the second or third field of the product version in configuring a minor upgrade.

Here is a link to the official Microsoft documentation about the ProductVersion MSI property:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/productversion

Note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field.

Here is a link to our InstallShield product documentation about minor upgrade rules:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield26helplib/helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm

Also, what was the value, if there was a value, of the IS_MINOR_UPGRADE public MSI property in the log that you mentioned?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Ian.

So in this case the above scenario (the one I posted) is a not a minor upgrade?

As I'm seeing configuration changes done successfully after installation and even IS_MinorUpgrade property is getting set in the log after the installation of 2nd Msi.

Where for 2nd Msi, only 4th digit of product version and package code was revised.

0 Kudos

Hi @JayeshSoni,

You're welcome; I'm happy to help. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure, offhand, whether your steps would configure a valid minor upgrade. I was giving you the steps that I know would be correct for configuring a minor upgrade.

Could you please run the Build > Validate > Upgrade Validation Wizard against your previous version and your new version? What are the test results? Could you please send us the upgrade validation log via a private message?

0 Kudos

Hi @JayeshSoni,

Thank you for your reply.

To clarify, to configure a minor upgrade, you need to make sure that the product code and upgrade code are both the same for the previous version and the new version.

The upgrade validation log indicates that you configured a small upgrade. The product version was only changed in the fourth field, which Windows Installer ignores. So you would also need to change the second or third field of the product version, save your project, rebuild your project, then retest this issue.

After making sure of all of those things then retesting this issue, are you able to configure a minor upgrade? To confirm this, please generate a new upgrade validation log and send the upgrade validation results via private message.