cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnLussmyer
Level 3

MS Defender prevented installer from running

Jump to solution

I've been handed our installer project suddenly.  I have no experience with InstallShield previously. (Just warning you that stupid questions are likely to occur.)

After updating to InstallShield 2022, fixing product names, etc... and rebuilding our installer, running the installer is blocked by Microsoft Defender.  (see attached image)
I also see that it shows "Unknown Publisher" - though we do have the Publisher set in InstallShield.

I'm quite sure that I'm missing something obvious.  Any suggestions on what it is?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JohnLussmyer,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you need to digitally sign your installer. First, you need to purchase a digital certificate, specifically, a code signing certificate, from a certificate authority, such as DigiCert. Second, you need to configure the Releases > Release > Signing Tab of your InstallShield project and populate the Signing Tab with the digital certificate information from your purchase.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JohnLussmyer,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you need to digitally sign your installer. First, you need to purchase a digital certificate, specifically, a code signing certificate, from a certificate authority, such as DigiCert. Second, you need to configure the Releases > Release > Signing Tab of your InstallShield project and populate the Signing Tab with the digital certificate information from your purchase.

0 Kudos

Thanks, though I do have one issue.  I have no idea where to find the "Releases > Release > Signing Tab".  The only possibly related menu/toolbar item i've found is a "Release Wizard" - which gives the impression that it will be starting from scratch, possibly clobbering any relevant information the project already has.

0 Kudos

You're welcome, @JohnLussmyer. To clarify, do you have an InstallShield project .ism file that you can open in the InstallShield IDE?

If so, which project type is your InstallShield project? Basic MSI? InstallScript? Or InstallScript MSI?

The project type should be indicated in square brackets on the InstallShield title bar when your affected project is open: [<Project Type>]

Could you please send me the affected InstallShield project .ism file via a private message? The private message is to maintain confidentiality when sharing the project file.

0 Kudos

It's a Basic MSI Project.
I'll send the msi file.

0 Kudos