cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Is there a way to pass numerous properties to an .exe in a single property used as the .exe parameter...

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

This might be sort of a weird one.  We have a ton of configuration settings stored in a property that we want to pass to an .exe.  Is there a way to use a property to pass, let's say just two properties, for example by including them in another property...

COMBINEDPROPERTY=[FIRSTPROPERTY] [SECONDPROPERTY]

Then the custom action .exe is called with [COMBINEDPROPERTY] as its parameter/argument.  I was hoping that would then provide the various property values, but when I check what is passed to the .exe, I see [FIRSTPROPERTY] [SECONDPROPERTY] instead of something like firstvalue secondvalue.

Is this even possible?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
skrueger
Level 6

Are you using a type 51 custom action to set COMBINEDPROPERTY ? And is COMBINEDPROPERTY listed in the SecureCustomProperties property?

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org / InstallSite.de

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

I tried passing several properties in a single property and that didn't work.  I'm just passing all of my properties in as a delimited list with is split into an array and handled that way in custom action code.

0 Kudos
skrueger
Level 6

Are you using a type 51 custom action to set COMBINEDPROPERTY ? And is COMBINEDPROPERTY listed in the SecureCustomProperties property?

Stefan Krueger
0 Kudos

Ah, I think I overlooked the set property method.  What I did to quickly test was to place [Property1] [Property2] directly in the Property table value.   I think I totally forgot about the set property custom action.  I'm confident that will work.

And all involved are in SecureCustomProperties.

0 Kudos

Yes, the Value column of the Property table is of type Text, not Formatted, therefore properties are not resolved in that column.

Stefan Krueger
0 Kudos

Thank you Stefan.  It's something I've always wondered about, but never had the opportunity or need to try some like this.

0 Kudos