cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianjustice
Level 3

Installer exits after installing prerequisite

I need to install the WebView2 control as a prerequisite.  When I run the installer, it installs all of the necessary prerequisites, including WebView2, but then it simply exits with no error message.  There's no log file to look at either.  The file it's running to install the prerequisite is

MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX64.exe

If I rerun the installer, it has indeed installed the WebView2 prerequisite and the install proceeds normally.

What am I doing wrong?

I am doing a silent install, so the command line looks like:

MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX64.exe /silent /install

I read that if the /install is first, it fails, but I have the arguments in the correct order

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @brianjustice :   you are facing issue like when install the setup.exe in silent mode, after installing prq the setup.exe exists, but when you install with UI it installs without any issues, 

is my understanding correct?

what is your project type? could you please the ism and prq file

0 Kudos
steve_bolster
Level 2

I am experiencing the same issue with WebView2 in a UI install (non-silent). The dialog appears stating Installing the prq (MicrosoftEdgeWebview2Setup.exe). Once it completes, the dialog closes automatically and no errors are displayed. The prq does get installed correctly so if I re-run it, it completes normally because it is not installed again.

Any ideas on what is going on?

0 Kudos
daniel_horn
Level 3

Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the same issue, with the installer closing after installing the WebView2 prereq.  Same happens with or without the UI.  I'm using /silent /install in the command line arguments to remove the UI but this doesn't help.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @daniel_horn ,

Usually the edit for setup.exe used to happen when prq reboot setting is set to abort the setup.exe or the setting "if the prq appears to need a reboot" setting is set to exit and resume on reboot, 

You can change the settings to "Reboot the machine and resume on reboot" and on other drop down change it to "Ask weather to continue setup" option and save the prq and then rebuild your project and try installing and verify.

Refer screenshot for reference.

Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO".

Hi @varul 

Thanks for pointing me towards those settings.  I just tried with the option to "Prompt the user only if no reboot is detected, but always reboot the machine and resume on reboot."

I already had "Ask whether to continue the setup" in place.

When I ran the install, it installed Webview2, then rebooted the machine, then continued with the main software install.

If I could achieve that without the reboot in the middle, that would be ideal.  We don't really want users' servers to be rebooted when running our software upgrades. 

I don't think the reboot is needed, as I have previously been able to run the install to get WebView2 in place, it bombs out, then I run the install again and it upgrades our main software, with no reboot required, and everything working ok.

I'll try some of the other settings in the list.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

I went with the option, "Ignore it, and fail to resume if machine is rebooted".  Upon first appearances, after testing on one of my machines, this has worked.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @daniel_horn ,

if you are using an installshield version like IS2020, and on installation if prq finds any  temp value under registry pendingfilerenameoperations

the prq will request for an reboot. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31432333/clear-the-pendingfilerenameoperations-registry-value

if you are using IS2021 or later version,  you can include this IgnoreTmpRename="1" in your prq it will avoid this reboot. (refer screenshot) 

we need to edit the prq using notepad or notepad++ and add this IgnoreTmpRename="1" and save the prq, and rebuild the  project and install.

Yes, ignore it option will avoid the unnecessary reboot, and good that you are able to solve it.