cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_Ruiz_MGS
Level 2

If we purchase InstallShield 2022 R1, will we get InstallShield 2022 R2 at not additional cost?

Currently my organization cannot upgrade to using Visual Studio 2022 because our InstallShield 2019 R3 only works with the 32-bit IDEs.

I have read that InstallShield 2022 R1 will now let us upgrade our existing installers and build them in Visual Studio 2022, but we cannot create new install projects until InstallShield 2022 R2 is released. 

So if my organization purchases a license for InstallShield 2022 R1, will we be entitled to upgrade for free to InstallShield 2022 R2 when that is eventually released, or do we need to wait until InstallShield 2022 R2 is released before purchasing a new license?

Related question. I know InstallShield 2022 R1 will not allow us to create new install projects, but will it allow us to modify our existing installer project to add new files to the installer project?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @James_Ruiz_MGS,

Thank you for your post.

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

I double-checked with an Account Manager and confirmed that if you purchase a license for InstallShield 2022 R1, you would be entitled to a free upgrade to InstallShield 2022 R2, once it is released.

I am researching the topic of what is supported by the current Visual Studio 2022 with InstallShield 2022 R1 integration in terms of modifying an existing InstallShield project by adding files, etc. I'll keep you posted on my findings.

If you have any other questions, please contact us via the Contact Us Form at the following link:

https://www.revenera.com/about-us/contact-us

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @James_Ruiz_MGS,

Thank you for your patience.

Support for integration with Visual Studio 2022 is being completed in phases. In the first phase, which is released in InstallShield 2022 R1, support for upgrading existing solutions with projects configured was added. Support for building such projects using Visual Studio or MSBuild was added.

In subsequent releases (hopefully, in Q4 ’22), we will be able to add the provision to create or edit InstallShield projects right within Visual Studio 2022.

Why phases? Visual Studio has changed their architecture to 64-bit and it hasn’t been an easy exercise to integrate with InstallShield which is still a 32-bit application. However, we are committed to continuing work on this project.

An InstallShield user currently cannot modify an InstallShield project in Visual Studio 2022 today. However, you could try modifying the same InstallShield project outside of Visual Studio, by launching the standalone InstallShield IDE, and using MSBuild to seamlessly build.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos