cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlee2Harris
Level 3

How to validate available disk space using InstallShield Suite/AdvancedUI 2021?

I have been using InstallShield for a very long time and using the AdvancedUI since 2012. However, just today I discovered something I missed - it appears that the installer does not validate if the target system has enough disk space for the feature cost. I am using Suite/AdvancedUI 2021. 

Do I need to create a custom action to evaluate the disk cost requirements and ensure the target system has enough disk space? I had always thought that InstallShield would include this basic expected feature from the start. I know it is complex because you have to evaluate if you are extracting files to the cache directory or if the file is running from DVD/CD media as well as determine where each package will be installed. 

In our case, I have an installer where we are attempting to upgrade customers from SQL Server 2012 Express to a newer version. The install for SQL Server 2016 does not appear to do its own check for available disk space.

If I add a custom setup dialog to the setup wizard stack, the file cost is displayed correctly there, but it does not stop the user if the available disk space is lower than the required disk space.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

HI @dlee2Harris,

Thank you for your post.

We'll need a support ticket (case) to track this issue. Could you please open a support ticket (case) with our Support Team, about this issue, by email at support@revenera.com or by phone at (877) 279-2853, as long as you have a valid, unexpired technical support contract (maintenance plan)?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi @Revenera_Ian, thank you for your reply. 

I have a case open with InstallShield now. In the meantime, I have realized why an AdvancedUI project cannot detect available disk space. It is because the AdvancedUI installer is a shell that allows us to execute multiple installers. These can have multiple target directories and other requirements. 

Therefore, I have spent today creating InstallScript code that allows me to validate the available disk space, validate if there is enough disk space, select an alternate drive for the AdvancedUI cache directory, and modify any target directories.

Once this project is done, I plan on writing a white paper on this process and hopefully generalize the process for public consumption.

0 Kudos

Hi @dlee2Harris 

Did you happen to have the chance to  write the mentioned white paper on the topic?
I would be interested, if you could provide a link.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Greg 

0 Kudos
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @dlee2Harris, you are welcome, thank you for your reply.

Please continue to follow up on the case you have open with us, which it sounds like you're already doing.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi @Revenera_Ian ,

Do we have any way to get feature's cost(space) required for installation. so that we can inform end user about how much disk space they required for each feature at this specific installation.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos