cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomochainstall
Level 6

How to execute a Deferred PowerShell Custom Action only on install?

Jump to solution

I've added a PowerShell custom action which adds a Firewall rule to the system. However, it is always being added, on install, re-install and uninstall. Is there a public property that I can use to determine whether the application is installed for the first time on the system? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome, @gomochainstall! I'm happy to hear that you've got it working.

If you are using a Basic MSI project or an InstallScript MSI project, not an InstallScript project, you could try using the REMOVE public MSI property in the following condition:

REMOVE~="ALL"

That condition will only evaluate to true only during uninstall.

Please give this condition a try, rebuild your project, then retest this issue. Does this issue still occur?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @gomochainstall,

Thank you for your post.

If you are using a Basic MSI project or an InstallScript MSI project, not an InstallScript project, you could try using the Installed private MSI property.

Here is a link to the official Microsoft documentation about the Installed MSI property:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/installed

I understand that you requested a public property, but the Installed property is typically the property used for this type of condition.

The condition for a first-time install would be: NOT Installed

because you would be checking whether the product has already been installed. If the installer is running as a first-time install then the Installed property will not be set. Hence, you would be checking if the Installed property is not set.

Here is a link to our Introducing the Installer Cheat Sheets blog post, which has a link to a Common MSI Conditions Cheat Sheet:

https://www.revenera.com/blog/software-installation/installer-cheat-sheet-series/

Hope this help.

0 Kudos

Thank you! I've got it working. But now I have a different question, what if I want to remove the firewall rule only on uninstall? The 'Installed' property will also have a value on a reinstall so I can't just remove it when 'Installed' has a value. 

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome, @gomochainstall! I'm happy to hear that you've got it working.

If you are using a Basic MSI project or an InstallScript MSI project, not an InstallScript project, you could try using the REMOVE public MSI property in the following condition:

REMOVE~="ALL"

That condition will only evaluate to true only during uninstall.

Please give this condition a try, rebuild your project, then retest this issue. Does this issue still occur?