cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Configure Basic MSI Project so that it Always Does a Full Install

Hi,

How can I set up my Basic MSI project so that it always installs like a "new" installation?

It is fine if it shows in Add/Remove Programs. I just want it to always run as a full install.

I have tried setting ADDLOCAL to All in one of my dialogs.

I saw this post...

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/Create-setup-which-always-installs/td-p/88908

but I think that is more focused on not showing in ARP... and I am fine with it showing there.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @rguggisberg,

Thank you for your post.

This is not possible with a Basic MSI project, because of the way that Microsoft designed Windows Installer, which is the basis for a Basic MSI project. Windows Installer, by design, detects if a product is already installed then triggers maintenance mode, if it is. Microsoft would need to change the way that Windows Installer behaves in order to make this possible.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks Ian. Would it be easy if I switch to an InstallScriptMSI project?

0 Kudos

You're welcome @rguggisberg. No, you'd be in the same situation with an InstallScript MSI project, because both Basic MSI projects and InstallScript MSI projects are MSI-based projects, so they're built on Windows Installer. That's just the nature of what you get with Windows Installer functionality.

The closest functionality that I could see would be with an InstallScript project. There's an option to have a no maintenance experience. I believe that results in a full install every time. However, the question there is whether the product is uninstallable if there's no Add or Remove Programs entry. And if you go this route, it drops the benefits of MSI entirely. So this is definitely a tradeoff that you'll need to consider.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks Ian for the quick reply and useful information.  Not quite the answer I was hoping for... but now I know and I have moved on. 🙂

Thanks Again

0 Kudos

You're welcome @rguggisberg; thank you for the positive feedback.  Thank you for your understanding, given that it was not quite the answer you were hoping for... I'm glad that now you know and you have moved on. 🙂

You're Welcome

0 Kudos