cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NelsonChen
Level 3

Does InstallAnywhere 2023 Support Intel RedHat Linux 7.x and AIX 7.2?

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Is InstallAnywhere 2023 (IA2023) Compatible with Intel RedHat Linux 7.x and AIX 7.2? 

According to the release notes, it does.

Linux

CentOS Stream 9.0
 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.9, 8 (x64), 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 9.0, 9.1, and 9.3

AIX

AIX 7.1 and 7.2 (Power/PowerPC)

However, Linux installers built with IA2023 does not work on RedHat Linux 7.x.  The error message is:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/zerog/lax/LAX has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:756)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:468)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:369)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:363)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:352)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:495)

The bundled JVM is 17.0.9.0+9-IBM-Semeru-0.41. The same error also occurs on AIX 7.2.  This problem does not occur on Windows and Linux on IBM z.

Temurin jdk-17.0.9+9 has the same problem.  The error is isolated to InstallAnywhere 2023 as IA2022 works fine.

Has anyone seen this?  Is this a known bug?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
NelsonChen
Level 3

Well, the mystery is solved!  As it turned out the AIX and Linux systems have Java 8 installed which got picked up by our InstallAnywhere installer.  Once Java 1.8 is excluded, InstallAnywhere 2023 built installers ran successfully.  In fact, IA2023 release notes shows no support for Java versions below 11.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
gsturge
Level 3

I'm seeing this trying to run on Windows.

0 Kudos

It ran fine on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019.  Which version of Windows is it?

0 Kudos

Windows 11. However I used OpenJDK 11.0.20. 

0 Kudos

Ok ones that didn't work I either didn't include a VM or used another version. One I used the include Amazon jvm and that installer runs. Looks like I'll need to always include a VM as our customers are still on 8 and 11.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info about using the bundled Amazon JVM.  I just tried on Windows 11 and it ran fine too with my JVM. 

The bundled Amazon JVM is not current (9 months old?) and is Windows only.  Since I do not have a problem on Windows with my JVM, I still need a solution for Linux and AIX.   For now I'll have to go back to InstallAnywhere 2022 on AIX and Linux until there is a fix to this problem.

0 Kudos
NelsonChen
Level 3

Well, the mystery is solved!  As it turned out the AIX and Linux systems have Java 8 installed which got picked up by our InstallAnywhere installer.  Once Java 1.8 is excluded, InstallAnywhere 2023 built installers ran successfully.  In fact, IA2023 release notes shows no support for Java versions below 11.

0 Kudos