cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexera One’s SaaS Management now offers Microsoft Power BI extensible reporting for ServiceNow. The following new insights for analyzing ServiceNow subscriptions and allocations help identify license reclamation or downgrading opportunities.

• Executive Summary Report 
  • License Overview 
  • Use Verification Report (ServiceNow Audit Report)
  • Subscriptions
  • ServiceNow User Activity Tracking

The report, which uses the SaaS Management APIs, has been developed in partnership with our customers and product team to ensure that it provides the insights that enable improved governance and license management processes for complex ServiceNow environments.

In addition, the Microsoft Power BI report offers a mechanism to provide ServiceNow insights to those within your organization who do not use Flexera One's SaaS Management.

Power BI Report Setup

The report, which is attached to this article as a Power BI Template (PBIT), can be easily configured by providing:

• A refresh token obtained from your Flexera One org. Details on how to generate a refresh token to work with the Flexera One API can be found in the Flexera One Help topic Generating a Refresh Token.
  • The location of your Flexera One org using the following options: North America (NA), Europe (EU), or APAC (AU).
  • Your Flexera One Org ID, which is a numeric identifier contained within the URL of your org.
  • The managed application ID for the ServiceNow managed application you wish to report on. This ID is also contained within the URL when you are viewing your ServiceNow managed application within SaaS Management. As an example, when you are viewing the Overview tab of a ServiceNow managed application in SaaS Management, your URL will be in the following format: 
  •  SaaS Management URL Information Needed for Power BI Reporting—from the example https://app.flexera.com/orgs/99999/saas/managed-products/987654?tab=overview

SaaS Management URL Information Needed for Power BI Reporting

Format

Flexera One Org ID

Managed Application ID

When opening the PBIT file, you will be prompted for these values. For further details, see the following screenshot. After entering these values, your Power BI report will retrieve the data relating to the ServiceNow managed application you have supplied.

SN Config.png

Test Mode

This has been added to allow you to be able to quickly load the report into the desktop designer. Setting this option to "Yes" will only import the first ten thousand users. When you publish the report to the Power BI service, you can change this parameter to "No" and all users within your ServiceNow instance will be imported.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
100% helpful (1/1)
Comments
MurrayPeters
By
Level 7

When running this report in the APAC instance of Flexera One I am seeing a 400 Bad Request error when the sn_refresh_token function is being executed.   This appears to be because the Content Type in the header of the AU specific URL is set to "x-www-form-urlencoded" and not "json".

SaaSBIServiceNow.png

After updating the content type, the sn_refresh_token correctly returns a valid bearer token.

regards,
Murray

aswindells
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

Hi @MurrayPeters - I have updated the report and attached v3.5 to the KB article.

Please try this version and if you still see problems, contact me directly and we will help you resolve them.

Thanks

king_nolan
By
Level 3

After entering values into the parameters (refresh token, etc.) I get presented with another credentials screen and do not know what to select/enter.  I tried various things but nothing seems to work and there are not any instructions on what should be entered.

2024-03-27 14-51-30_.jpg

aswindells
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

Hi @king_nolan ,

Have you tried extending the drop down list and selecting the bottom item in the list and then choosing connect?

Also, does this prompt appear immediately or after a period of time approx. 60 minutes? if so, you may be encountering an issue with the size of your dataset and license query timeout restrictions.

Thanks

king_nolan
By
Level 3

@aswindells, it does not prompt right away.  It runs through the query evaluation first.  Maybe timeout is the issue, though I did have it in TEST mode initially so the data set should have been limited.  It did error out eventually due to a duplicate value found in 'sn_licenses_details.displayName'.

'.2024-03-27 15-20-46_Untitled - Power BI Desktop.jpg

aswindells
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

Hi @king_nolan I can take a look at this for you, would you be comfortable sharing - via email - a refresh token, Org ID and Managed App ID so I can setup a report and check?

We have added some extra steps in for the duplicate licenses in an upcoming release and I will check it holds true for you at the same time.

Thanks

aswindells
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

Hi @king_nolan - I believe you have been speaking to John and now have this working?

king_nolan
By
Level 3

@aswindells , Yes, this is working correctly now.  We likely were getting hung up on a timeout of the API pulls.  Further John had me verify we were using 'Anonymous' auth and set the privacy level to 'Public' for each data connection.  Once published I updated the parameters in the PowerBI web service to take the report out of TEST mode. Thank you for following up.

Version history
Last update:
‎Feb 14, 2024 12:06 PM
Updated by: