cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Help ... Roles for Organization vs Roles for User Flexera One

Hi Everyone,  we have too many cooks in the Kitchen in terms of who can add users in our organization and as a result we have created quite a mess in terms of how things look. I am attempting to understand how best to clean this up. I understand about Groups etc so no confusion there .. the confusion comes into play when I look at each User. In our setup when I open up each User I see 2 sections ... one for Roles for Organization and the other section is Roles for that particular User. I understand about the inherited concept from the Organization but it seems that each User has different checkboxes in the Organizational section versus what shows up for other Users. Part of this I suspect is that other admins have simply clicked on every check box and by hook or by crook have achieved the access they wanted.

I was under the impression that the Organizational Roles were kind of static or the same for each person who is assigned to that Organization unless of course you include some additional check boxes for the organization .. we just have the one Organization. 

I'll admit that I have not spent too much time adding any new users but what I see in our environment scares me a bit. I would have thought that the Organizational Roles would only show up in separate menu item so they are managed in only one spot, however, in our setup, each user has an Roles for Organization where you can check off any boxes you wish.

Hoping someone can straighten me out on the differences I see  ... I even see some Users with check boxes in both the Organization and their respective User Account along with the inherited symbol .. Karumba !! I can appreciate the best practice would be to introduce a few groups but first I would like to understand what I am currently seeing.

Thanks in Advance as Always

Bruce

(1) Solution
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

In Flexera One, there is the Organization (top level) and Accounts (second level). For most customers, you only have 1 account while some legacy customers may have multiple accounts in a single organization.

Roles applied at the organization level apply to all accounts in the organization via inheritance. For customers with mulitple accounts, roles can be applied at the account level to provide different levels of access. In most cases, it is recommend to apply the roles at the organization level.

You can create groups to assign predefined sets of roles to users in bulk. Roles coming from membership in a group will not be checked but will have the inheritance icon. Any role that has a check mark is assigned directly to a user (it can also be inherited from a group but if it is checked, removing the user from the group will not remove the role).

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

In Flexera One, there is the Organization (top level) and Accounts (second level). For most customers, you only have 1 account while some legacy customers may have multiple accounts in a single organization.

Roles applied at the organization level apply to all accounts in the organization via inheritance. For customers with mulitple accounts, roles can be applied at the account level to provide different levels of access. In most cases, it is recommend to apply the roles at the organization level.

You can create groups to assign predefined sets of roles to users in bulk. Roles coming from membership in a group will not be checked but will have the inheritance icon. Any role that has a check mark is assigned directly to a user (it can also be inherited from a group but if it is checked, removing the user from the group will not remove the role).