cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows Server OS - Entitlement Best Practices for DataCenter Consumption

We recently imported all of our Windows Server OS entitlements into Flexera One. We have set up the rights correctly, but noticed the 2016 DataCenter licenses are not consuming, all of the consumption is being applied to the 2016 Standard, which is now showing a large shortfall. Any advice on how others have set up their entitlements to consume DataCenter? 

Also, we noticed that some cloud devices are being allocated Windows OS licenses even though we did not select Cloud Provider in the rights. I have created a "generic" license and allocated to the generic license however they are still consuming on the other licenses. Any thoughts on how I can exclude the Cloud servers from even reporting into my Windows OS entitlements? 

(1) Reply

In my experience with Data Center and Standard licenses I've found that if the OS is not actually Datacenter, but a standard installation, those will stay with the Standard license. I have to manually allocate the servers that I want to consume a Data Center license. Not sure that's the case for you here, but that's what I have to do. The good thing is the server team is now installing Data Center on the big clusters so that the licensing is much easier.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.