cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any document or reference which talks about deploying agents to laptop/desktops?

Hi,

Is there any document or reference which talks about deploying agents to laptop/desktops? i have been asked to provide details of how it works and the network port requirements + if any specific service account needed for deployment.

(1) Solution

@pratikmehta003 - Please see my earlier post.  Like any software package to be installed on Windows, you need Local Admin privileges to install the agent.  This is true whether you install the agent manually, through a tool such as SCCM, or by the built-in Agent Adoption feature of Flexera.

View solution in original post

(12) Replies
bmaudlin
By Level 9 Champion
Level 9 Champion

Hi @pratikmehta003  ðŸ‘‹,

Are you looking to deploy the Flexera agent via an automated deployment method such as SCCM/MECM or looking for information on the Flexera agent to deployed via the Flexera beacon method?

A good start however, would be through this documentation > https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/Cloud/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

Ben

Hi @bmaudlin I am looking at both options... in the link u pasted i dont see info that m looking for. I need to know the exact details and what are the ports required from beacon to laptop/desktop systems? Can u help me with taht?

The default configuration for Agent/Beacon communication is HTTP over Port 80.  The agent initiates all communication with the beacon using HTTP PUT, HTTP GET, HTTP Options.

Alternately, the communication can be configured as HTTPS over port 443, with the same set of commands (PUT, GET, OPTIONS as HTTPS).  For this secure level of communication it requires that IIS be enabled/configured on the Beacon Server and that you register a commercial Security Certificate with IIS for the secure communication.

What about the user access? What level of privilege is needed?

Regards
Pratik Mehta

Not sure what you mean by user access.  Do you mean the credentials to install the agent?  If that is what you mean, then the credentials would be the same as the installation of any type of software:
- On Windows, you need an account that is a Local Administrator
- On Linux, you need to install "sudo to root"

Most customers manage this by pushing out the agent installation packages with their existing deployment tools (SCCM, BigFix, Ansible, Chef, etc.)

Yes, I was referring to the user access to install the agents... so I think for systems like Laptop/Desktop bulk push via third party tool like SCCM, chef etc should be recommended option right?

Regards
Pratik Mehta
GMS Engineering-ITAM
Working Days: Mon-Fri 13:30 - 22:30 IST
Mobile: +91 9964616517
Team PDL - GMSEngineering-itam@hpe.com
Feedback to Manager: Subramaniyan Srinivasan
[cid:image001.jpg@01D870E2.D46358B0]

and u mean only port 80/443 is needed between beacon to the laptop/desktop? Dont we need any other ports like how we have for Windows server and Linux server?

Yes, Agent/Beacon communication is via port 80/443 regardless of whether the agent is installed on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux or UNIX.  It is uploading to a virtual directory on the Beacon Server managed by IIS on the Beacon Server.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The following page contains information about connections and ports used for most key communication paths in the system: Ports and URLs for Inventory Beacons

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

yes i have this URL... but for deploying agents to Laptop/Desktops whether via SCCM or any other method, what will be the account previlege needed?

If done via Flexera by remotely pushing, then what will be the account previlege needed?

can you clarify these 2 points?

@pratikmehta003 - Please see my earlier post.  Like any software package to be installed on Windows, you need Local Admin privileges to install the agent.  This is true whether you install the agent manually, through a tool such as SCCM, or by the built-in Agent Adoption feature of Flexera.

Perfect.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Pratik Mehta