cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docker Desktop - Scanning of containers

Hi Gurus!

I have not been able to get the scanning of containers running at our site. What I would like to see is the inventory from our Docker Desktop installations running on Windows 10/11.

According to the documentation (and to my understanding) the "only" thing needed is the check box marked.

1.Go to the Inventory Settings page (Data Collection > IT Assets Inventory Tasks > Inventory Settings).
2.Select the Enable detection of Docker and running inventory agent inside Docker containers check box.

This allows inventory of the host to report the presence of Docker images, and also allows invoking the locally- installed Inventory Agent inside Docker containers when they are running.

In our system this is checked, but I cannot see anything if I run the report /Inventory/All containers.

Anyone out there that is using Docker Desktop and gets inventory from containers?

Thanks for any feedback!

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The FlexNet inventory agent is able to gather Docker container details on 64-bit Linux & 64-bit Windows Server 2016 onwards. Unfortunately it does not support gathering container details from Docker Desktop on Windows desktop operating systems like Windows 10/11.

For a reference, see the following page for compatibility information: Compatibility with Other Products.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The FlexNet inventory agent is able to gather Docker container details on 64-bit Linux & 64-bit Windows Server 2016 onwards. Unfortunately it does not support gathering container details from Docker Desktop on Windows desktop operating systems like Windows 10/11.

For a reference, see the following page for compatibility information: Compatibility with Other Products.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG  Docker Desktop on Win10 / Win11 is heavly used in development departments or development companies. Is this planned on the roadmap or already something on Ideas?

I am not aware of any plans around gathering data from images in Docker Desktop, but you could certainly raise an idea about it if it would be useful to you.

I'm not sure whether it would be possible to gather data from Docker Desktop in a similar way to what is gathered from Docker on Windows Server, as I believe Docker Desktop does not provide APIs like are available with Docker on Windows Server. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't log an idea!