Business Adapter Failing - "Import failed. Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
I am trying to run a business adapter in the test environment for FlexeraOne before pushing to prod. The first run successfully finished and gave the normal system tasks look. The adapter did not do what I was looking for, so I made some modifications and tried to do another run but it fails at the first step of 'Import into Application Server' every time now.
From the other posts on the forum I could find this issue seemed to pertain more to inventory uploads and other operations different from the business adapter. I tried what I could find for possible fixes there but I have had no luck so far. There was one post that suggested this may be a bug that goes away with time, but it is still persisting for me after over a day.
I am trying to change the requestor on a purchase order with this adapter.
For example, does it appear in a log file? Somewhere in a UI? Somewhere else?
Attaching a screenshot, log file or similar showing the context of what you are seeing here may help. Attaching a copy of the adapter if you're able to (that is, if it does not contain any sensitive information) may also help.
Of course.... so I see this message in the system tasks summary of the import after I run it from the beacon. I am attaching that screenshot here. When I click "download log" the only error is "Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object." and that is where it ends for the log file.
I am also attaching the XML for the adapter that I have. The user record is a test record so there isn't much sensitive information. I deleted the connection string just in case as that is the only thing I could think of being somewhat sensitive.
It is possible that making this change will correct the error here, although I'm not entirely confident of that.
I can't immediately spot anything else wrong in the adapter, and logging from running adapters is fairly terse (that is intentional to avoid security concerns, but does make troubleshooting a little more difficult). If you can't make any further progress, some assistance from the Flexera Support team may be required to dig into what is going on in the backend of the Flexera One environment here.
I tried that change, but to no avail... still getting the error in system tasks when I run the adapter. I will likely open a support ticket and reference this post there... will update with results when it is fixed.