cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applications Properties History questions

Can anyone help me understand why there seems to be continual linking and unlinking and why the history shows actions from unmanaged to Inactive in the attached file?

Applications & Evidence/Applications/All Applications/Application Properties

(1) Solution
rmiller1
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hi mdh7768,

In the screenshot of the application, the linking and unlinking typically represent when that specific application is discovered on a new device (link) or has been detected as being uninstalled (unlink) on a device.

In some cases, when application version updates occur and there are different applications definitions for each version, the device is seen to be unlinked from one application version and linked to another, even though the application name may stay the same. The only difference is that the version has changed.

I personally would need more info for Unmanaged/Inactive, but my thoughts are that when a device is unlinked, and it is the last installation of that software on a device, and no other installations exist, it may go from Unmanaged to Inactive (from Installed Applications to All Applications). I can't say with the data you provided. Note, all applications that are discovered will initially be in an Unmanaged state.

Hope this helps.

R.Miller

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
rmiller1
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hi mdh7768,

In the screenshot of the application, the linking and unlinking typically represent when that specific application is discovered on a new device (link) or has been detected as being uninstalled (unlink) on a device.

In some cases, when application version updates occur and there are different applications definitions for each version, the device is seen to be unlinked from one application version and linked to another, even though the application name may stay the same. The only difference is that the version has changed.

I personally would need more info for Unmanaged/Inactive, but my thoughts are that when a device is unlinked, and it is the last installation of that software on a device, and no other installations exist, it may go from Unmanaged to Inactive (from Installed Applications to All Applications). I can't say with the data you provided. Note, all applications that are discovered will initially be in an Unmanaged state.

Hope this helps.

R.Miller

@rmiller1's thoughts on the "Action" change are right: the "Action" field changes to "Inactive" when the application is no longer recognized as installed on any inventory devices, and changes to "Unmanaged" when the application is recognized as installed if it wasn't previously recognized as installed anywhere.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

What if you have an application that was marked unauthorized and you see it installed on a device.  Then you remove the unauthorized application from the device.  Does the application stay in the unauthorized status or does FNMS change to inactive automatically each time?  Need to know this for authorized apps identified and removed does the status of the classification stay even if the installs are removed.  Thank you! Fran 

Thanks! Happy New Year also! So to clarify... if an application is marked unauthorized and its removed the status will change automatically in FNMS to inactive... if the that application gets installed again the status that we changed it to "unauthorized" will then show again if the application is installed on another device. Is this the correct explanation for what happens in FNMS... I have a customer wanting me to explain the scenarios so they will better understand what to expect from the tool

Thank you!
Fran

Frances Cuthbert
Senior Professional Service Delivery Coordinator
Software Asset Management, Modern Workplace
DXC Technology

fcuthbert@dxc.com
www.dxc.com

@fcuthbert 

I stand corrected, and I have therefore deleted my previous response... (I'm so sorry for having been misleading you on this topic...)

The application will remain in the unauthorized status although it has been uninstalled from all devices, and as such until it's manually edited and entered into another status.

Thanks,