Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
npenneti
Level 5

Restrict Concurrent Licenses Borrowing

Jump to solution

Hi

We are trying to completely restrict the installshield's concurrent licenses borrowing using the BORROW_LOWWATER option by setting it to a number greater than or equal to the actual concurrent licenses we have. However, license borrowing is still possible with this option in place in our vendor daemon's option file.

We want to use this option instead of others like INCLUDE/EXCLUDE to lower down the administrative work. Has anybody tried this usecase and been successful? please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @mrathinam 

Sure, We will do that.

Regards

View solution in original post

(10) Replies
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @npenneti The BORROW_LOWWATER  is to set the number of BORROW licenses that cannot be borrowed for example as per the document

FEATURE f1 ... 10 ... BORROW SIGN=...

BORROW_LOWWATER f1 3

The following line in the options file allows only 7 licenses for this feature to be borrowed, is this not working as expected? 

Can you please give more details about your use case to give a try in my local? 

Also, could you please confirm the FNP version which you are using for this test. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
npenneti
Level 5

Hi mrathinam

Our FNP is FlexNet Publisher 2022 R1.

We have 'x' installshield standalone licenses and 'y' installshield premier licenses, now using BORROW_LOWWATER we want to make this all licenses not available for borrowing like below:

BORROW_LOWWATER f1 x

BORROW_LOWWATER f2 y

Where, f1 & f2 are the codes of the features we have.

But, this doesn't seem to work for us. Please let us know the result once you try this at your end.

Regards

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @npenneti Please find my test result, it's working for me 

BORROW_LOWWATER.JPG

so can you give a screenshot of the issue? so that help me to check more. 

Best Regards,

npenneti
Level 5

Hi @mrathinam 

Does this approach work for InstallShield concurrent license which has like 20 digit activation code?

We haven't created the .lic file ourself, we only used the activation codes from the products page in FnP.

Also, can we add below line to the license file we have:

Feature PREM-CC    mvsn 29.0 permanent 1 BORROW SIGN="<activation_key>"
Feature PREM-CC    mvsn 29.0 permanent 1 BORROW SIGN="8**E-***4-9EB0-****"

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi @mrathinam 

Also, how can we create a new license with the activation code we have, so that the created license file has all the lines as in the license file (counted_Borrow.lic) in the screenshot you shared on reply of 08-Aug?

Regards

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @npenneti When you use the activation code then it will be a Trusted activatable license and not a License file license am I correct? in that case options file will not work also we can not use the activation code in the license file.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
npenneti
Level 5

Hi @mrathinam 

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard from my teammate who set up our FnP that he had used a activation code while adding the licenses to FnP,  we see a . lic created, also, we had used options file in conjunction with this .lic to restrict licenses checkout to machines and users and it worked.

as the license file was created, I'm considering it as a cert based license instead of a trusted storage based license.

is there a way I can get a new license file from the products download page or else where, so lines like FEATURE be in it?

Regards

mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

@npenneti It would be good if you raise a support case and we can have a call to discuss this issue so that we can understand the requirement clearly and help you to fix it as soon as possible. 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/Community-How-Tos/How-to-Open-a-Case-with-Support/ta-p/96038

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi @mrathinam 

Sure, We will do that.

Regards

Hi @mrathinam 

A support ticket is already raised from our side, please check: Case #02786065: FlexNet Publisher.

Regards