Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jondhoor
Level 3

Prioritizing local node-locked over floating license on server

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are using a Software tool (Lattice Diamond), which uses FlexNet for managing the licenses.

We are currently using a floating license, by setting the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable:

LM_LICENSE_FILE = port@server

However, we would now like to add a (free) local node-locked license. This license has less features than the (paid) floating license. We would like to first use this local license, and only when certain features are unavailable, use the floating one.

We changed the LM_LICENSE_FILE to :

LM_LICENSE_FILE = C:\licenses\license.dat;port@server

However, we see that still the floating license is selected instead of the local node-locked one. 

I came upon this thread in this forum, that suggested adding 'sort=1' to the file, but this does not seem to do anything.

The local license file does work correctly on its own, if i remove the floating license from the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable, everything works fine.

Is there any way to prioritize the local node-locked license, without having to merge the files? We would like to keep the floating licenses on the server untouched, and only make changes on the local machine.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @jondhoor  ,

So, if I understand it correctly, there is no way to make sure that the node-locked license file is used before the floating license in this case (without merging the files)?

<Response > "C:\licenses\license.dat ; port@server" should work for windows .

For linux you have to use "C:\licenses\license.dat : port@server" (seperated by colon) .

How is the automatic ordering applied to different files? Are they sorted alphabetically? Or in the order they are given to the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable? 

As per the order specified in  LM_LICENSE_FILE

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi Jondhoor ,

You can specify the variable as LM_LICENSE_FILE=port1@firstserver:port2@2ndServer and give it a try . Sort=1 will come into picture when the license files are merged .

Hi, 

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

In our configuration, we have only one floating license on a seperate license server (port@server). The other node-locked license file is placed locally on the same PC where the Software tool is used.

For the local file, I can only specify the path to the file? Or do I need to do this differently?

0 Kudos

Hi @jondhoor  ,

You can specify as @localhost:port@server  if it's counted license file and if it is uncounted then  "C:\licenses\license.dat ; port@server" should work for windows .

For linux you have to use "C:\licenses\license.dat : port@server" (seperated by colon) . If above is not helping then you can raise a case with us with more details so that we can diagnose it further .

Hi @jyadav 

It is an uncounted license. 

So in this case, the sorting should still work fine, if I add sort=1 to the local license file? Or is manual sorting over several files not possible?

Perhaps the issues lies with the software tool itself, which I will first investigate further.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos

Hi @jondhoor  ,

sort=1 Specifies sort order of license file lines , so this is applicable to a license file as a whole .

You can override the automatic ordering by adding the sort attribute for each FEATURE and INCREMENT line. The value defined for the sort attribute identifies the relative position of that feature in the sort order. For example,
features with a sort value of 25 will be sorted before those with a sort value of 50. Unless explicitly defined, the sort value for each feature is set to 100. All lines with the same number are sorted as they appear in the file. The
value range for the sort attribute is 0 through 255. If you specify a value higher than 255, the encryption process converts it to 255.
Overriding the sort order might be useful to change the order in which licenses are consumed. Consider the following example: A company has multiple pools of licenses with different expiration dates. The company wants their users to first consume the licenses from the pool that expire first. To achieve this, the license administrator can add the sort=1 keyword to the feature line that expires first. It will not be useful in your case as you have 2 different set of license file and not a merged single license file .

Hi

Thank you for the extra information!

So, if I understand it correctly, there is no way to make sure that the node-locked license file is used before the floating license in this case (without merging the files)?

How is the automatic ordering applied to different files? Are they sorted alphabetically? Or in the order they are given to the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable? 

0 Kudos

Hi @jondhoor  ,

<Response > "C:\licenses\license.dat ; port@server" should work for windows .

For linux you have to use "C:\licenses\license.dat : port@server" (seperated by colon) .

As per the order specified in  LM_LICENSE_FILE

Okay great thank you very much!

0 Kudos