cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdl_stsrd_lice
Level 3

FNP on RHEL 9?

What about the support for FNP on RHEL 9? According to the release notes, 11.19.1.0 is supported on RHEL 7 and 8 only.

We're just switching to RHEL 9. In my understanding, the Linux Standard Base (redhat-lsb-core) is no longer supported with RHEL 9, but this is essential for FNP?

Greetings,

Ingo

0 Kudos
(14) Replies
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @pdl_stsrd_lice Is there a plan to support FNP on RHEL 9.X? Yes there is planning to introduce the support for RHEL 9.x  however it's yet to update in the Roadmap.  Let me check the current status and update you as soon as possible. 

Yes, LSB is essential for FNP. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

@pdl_stsrd_lice As per my check with the concerned team RHEL 9.x support is tentatively planning for 2022 R3 which is an upcoming release of FNP (if all the testing going well and good).  Hope this answer your query. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
pdl_stsrd_lice
Level 3

Thanks @mrathinam  for the quick response.

Do you know whether the upcoming release will remove the mentioned LSB requirement? If not we'd start to investigate on how to enable the support for LSB on RHEL 9 (if possible at all).

Greetings,

Ingo

0 Kudos

Hi @pdl_stsrd_lice No, RHEL 9 is also in compliance with LSB and you can enable it with the following command

How to install LSB, Install lsb by entering the following commands in the terminal:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install lsb

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

'apt' is the Centos package manager, not the Fedora one.  RHEL uses 'yum'. However, on RHEL9:

# yum install lsb
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 1:36:47 ago on Mon 22 Aug 2022 10:05:31 PM EDT.
No match for argument: lsb
Error: Unable to find a match: lsb

Any update on the latest release? 

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @is_ppllc for Fedora one you can give a try 

sudo dnf install lsb-core

WIll check and update the Install lsb in RHEL9

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

That does not work , neither does redhat-lsb-core.

# dnf install lsb-core
Last metadata expiration check: 2:37:56 ago on Tue 23 Aug 2022 06:00:42 AM EDT.
No match for argument: lsb-core
Error: Unable to find a match: lsb-core

# dnf install redhat-lsb-core
Last metadata expiration check: 2:39:08 ago on Tue 23 Aug 2022 06:00:42 AM EDT.
No match for argument: redhat-lsb-core
Error: Unable to find a match: redhat-lsb-core

According to Red Hat, they will not be providing 'lsb' in RHEL9: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2012924

It seems to me that my only option is to wait for FNP 2022R3. Is RH9 support still planned for that release? Is there any indication of a release date yet?

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @is_ppllc Thanks for the check, let me get more details and update you as soon as possible. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
is_ppllc
Level 3

Is there any update to this? it has been about 3 weeks since you said you would provide an update "as soon as possible".

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @is_ppllc Yet to get details, let me update here once I get more details as soon as possible. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

Hello @is_ppllc,

what I know currently:

FNP still requires LSB, but RedHat dropped LSB.
There's the "--nolsb" option to install_fnp.sh. This will "fake" the existence of the missing LSB interpreter. I've also successfully tried to directly use another interpreter via "patchelf --set-interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 lmutil". Should have the same effect.
As said, but both approaches somehow fake LSB, it's still not there.
I don't have any information yet, whether there are further LSB requirements of FNP and we've not yet done a full test.

Greetings

0 Kudos

Hi @pdl_stsrd_lice  you are right, I just got the update as well.

The install_fnp.sh will now issue a warning if it detects LSB is not installed on the host:

$ sudo ./install_fnp.sh
Checking LSB compatibility...
*** WARNING: 64-bit LSB packages not installed
LSB compatibility checks complete

FNP utilities will continue to give the File not found error.

Supplying the --nolsb flag to the command will cause fake symlinks to be created to mimic the missing LSB installation:

$ sudo ./install_fnp.sh --nolsb
Checking LSB compatibility...
*** WARNING: 64-bit LSB packages not installed
Fix attempted by creating symlink for /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
LSB compatibility checks complete

After which FNP utilities should run ok. Also, this will be added in the release notes under RHEL 9 support in 2022 R3.

Hope this answers. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

The above suggestion is an awful hack. It may work on locally installed machines, but is not a viable solution for ISVs who need to ship installation packages (RPMs).

In our case, we bundle pre-compiled FNP code with our application, along with a list of package dependencies. Having the installation package hack soft links into our end-users' /lib64 directories violates all sorts of RPM standards and will probably result in RH refusing to certify our application as RH9 compatible.

Could I suggest that instead of requiring LSB, you list the standard libraries that are required by FNP, so that these can be included in our RPM dependency list.

mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @is_ppllc This is a quick workaround however the plan is to remove the lsb dependency and add some alternatives in future releases of FNP, as of now I don't have more details however we will keep you posted in the release notes with all the details once we completed all the development and testing. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos