cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmoleary
Level 6

What does it mean to "Allow Upsells" on a Maintenance?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to understand the practical effects of the 3 radio button options that I get when creating a maintenance.  Specifically "Allow Upgrades", "Allow Upsells", and "Allow Renewals"

Suppose this is my product line

• MyApp Basic  (3 features) version 1.0
  • MyApp Pro (5 features)  version 1.0

I want any customer who has "Basic 1.0" and active maintenance to be able to automatically get an entitlement for "Basic 1.1" if their maintenance is active when its released.  But I don't want them to be able to automatically get any version of "Pro".

I understand that the product upgrade job  will automatically generate upgrade entitlement line items when I properly specify the Upgrade From/To relationships.  But What if I make Pro an "Upsell" of "Base" and then enable it on the maintenance?  Does that mean the upgrade job will automatically create an entitlement so that the user can go from "Basic 1.0" to "Pro 1.0" or "Pro 1.1"

Or would the person creating an entitlement still need to manually create an "upsell" entitlement for the user

And if the answer is the latter, what is the point of "Allow Upsells" when creating a maintenance?  What does it do?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary, Yes, your understanding is correct and it is safe to enable while creating maintenance. 

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(3) Replies
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi, @jmoleary Until the below query your understanding is correct.

Q) What if I make Pro an "Upsell" of "Base" and then enable it on the maintenance?  Does that mean the upgrade job will automatically create an entitlement so that the user can go from "Basic 1.0" to "Pro 1.0" or "Pro 1.1"
Ans: No, Auto upgrade is only possible for product version upgrading not for the upsell and renewal. 

Upgrade.JPG

As you can see in this image, the TIP clearly saying that what can be done for the upgrade. 

at the same time you can see for upsell and renewal as well 

upsell.JPG

Renewal.JPG

To use these options then we can not use the auto upgrade job. 

Q) Or would the person creating an entitlement still need to manually create an "upsell" entitlement for the user and if the answer is the latter, what is the point of "Allow Upsells" when creating maintenance?  What does it do?

Ans: It's possible in two ways, first the admin user can manually create and map the base relationship with parent activation ID or use Bulk Operations.  

Using Bulk operation, we can use the maintenance expiry date to upsell or renewal to the eligible accounts a single run.  If the option was not selected then the bulk operation is not possible.

Best Regards, 

0 Kudos
jmoleary
Level 6

OK, so in a nutshell, the reason for enabling upsell on a maintenance is mainly that it lets us define the scope of upsells during manual, bulk operations.  Is that it?

I'm asking this because after I set up these products, relationships, and maintenance, I am handing the work of entitlements to another person who does not know FNO like I do (and I clearly have much to learn).  I was mostly concerned with avoiding unintentional upsell entitlements from occurring. 

If my understanding is correct It sounds like the chances of that are minimal since the user would be required to manually run a bulk operation and manually choose "upsell".

Also I wanted to avoid the possibility of NOT checking that "Allow Upsells" option and then later finding out that I should have.    Because even on the test server I've found that once you create a maintenance, you cannot later go into it and alter those options. 

Sounds like it's safe to allow.  Thanks

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary, Yes, your understanding is correct and it is safe to enable while creating maintenance. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos