cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmoleary
Level 6

Is the "Upgrade-From" product relationship transitive?

Jump to solution

Consider this simplified situation which reflects my real world dilemma:

• I've got a product on my FNO server.  Let's call it "Widget 1.0". 
  • Many customers have this product with a 1-year maintenance
  • I release "Widget 1.1" with product relationships defined as "upgrade from" the 1.0 version
  • The Product Upgrade Job runs and all entitled customers still in maintenance get their appropriate email with new entitlements

So far, all is normal and as should be, as far as I understand how this process works.  But now, suppose that just one month after I release "Widget 1.1", I then release "Widget 1.2".    It is an upgrade from 1.1

Should I also list 1.2 as being an upgrade from 1.0?  Or is that relationship automatically transitive?

What I mean is, what happens to those customers who got the email from 1.0 to 1.1 but for whatever reason never used their activation code and are still in maintenance?  What will the FNO server's "Product Upgrade Job" do with them if I do not define 1.2 as being an upgrade from 1.0? 

Will they still get an upgrade email or do I have to list 1.2 as specifically being an upgrade from 1.0 as well?

And even if it is transitive, are they going to have to upgrade twice?  I mean will they have to first use the code to go from 1.0 to 1.1 and then use the code to go from 1.1 to 1.2?  Must I define 1.2 as being an upgrade from 1.0 for them to be able to go directly from 1.0 to 1.2?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary Your understanding is correct 

• Yes, they will get two upgrade mail (one for 1.1 and 1.2) and must activate both.
  • Yes, you have to link the relationship in all possible ways. 
  • Not near in future (as we have a workaround and the solution is stable for Trusted storage)

(I am not sure what your use case, it's for a certificate license update or a Trusted storage license upgrade, this scenario is only for a TS upgrade)

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(5) Replies
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary The upgrade relationship must be created for 1.1 and for 1.2 (upgrade from 1.0 and 1.1) so that for customers who have valid maintenance then the auto upgrade job will trigger the upgrade for both 1.1 and 1.2.

However, if the customer wants to activate directly to 1.2 from 1.0 then they have to activate the 1.1 licenses and then 1.2 (in an incremental way due to a known bug in Trusted storage activation). 
However, this was a manual upgrade then the upgrade line item will be created from 1.0 to 1.2 and activating the upgrade line item will work without 1.1. 

Hope this answers your query, let me know if you have any other queries or need any more investigation then it would be good to raise a support case with more details. 

Best Regards, 

0 Kudos
jmoleary
Level 6

Hi mrathinam,

Thank you for the reply.  I think I get most of it but there is one thing you said that is not clear to me.

You wrote, "However this was a manual upgrade then..."

What exactly is a "manual upgrade"?  Is this some term from FNO that I should be familiar with?  In my case, I am just creating the new products and specifying their relationships and relying on the Product upgrade job to email customers.  How does a manual upgrade differ from that?

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary  What I said was, if there was no auto upgrade job running then a manual upgrade would help. 

• You have to create a new line item for the upgraded product 1.2 directly and then select the order type to upgrade at the end of the line item create page-> select the parent activation ID (activation ID of product 1.0) and then save and deploy. 

You can send this new activation ID to the customer (remember email is not sent in this case) and then if the customer tries to activate the new activation ID upgrade the license to product 1.2. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

Ah OK, so, before I close this out, I want to make sure I understand this correctly

1. presuming no manual upgrades, none of the activation codes my customers receive will  be able to take them directly from 1.0 to 1.2, correct?  They'll have to apply both of them?

2. If I want the 1.0 customers to get the product upgrade job email  for 1.2, I must mark version 1.2 as an upgrade from 1.0 also, is that correct?

(As an aside, you mentioned a trusted storage bug.  Is that something that is planned to be fixed?)

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary Your understanding is correct 

• Yes, they will get two upgrade mail (one for 1.1 and 1.2) and must activate both.
  • Yes, you have to link the relationship in all possible ways. 
  • Not near in future (as we have a workaround and the solution is stable for Trusted storage)

(I am not sure what your use case, it's for a certificate license update or a Trusted storage license upgrade, this scenario is only for a TS upgrade)

Best Regards,

0 Kudos