cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary

Software end of support life (EOSL) data for applications that are recognized as installed on at least one computer are exposed through various columns available on the License Compliance > Installed Applications grid in the FlexNet Manager Suite UI:

image.png

Additional EOSL data (including data for applications that are not recognized as installed) can be found by directly querying the database of FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises installations.

Accessing EOSL data directly in the database

A SQL query like the following can be executed against a FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises compliance database to review applications in the currently installed ARL version that have an End of Life Support Date or Extended Support Until date:

SELECT
	st.SoftwareTitleID,
	stpub.PublisherName,
	st.FullName,
	Classification = stc.DefaultValue,
	st.ReleaseDate,
	st.SupportedUntil,
	st.ExtendedSupportUntil
FROM SoftwareTitle st
	JOIN SoftwareTitleClassification stc
		ON st.SoftwareTitleClassificationID = stc.SoftwareTitleClassificationID
	LEFT OUTER JOIN SoftwareTitleProduct stp
		ON st.SoftwareTitleProductID = stp.SoftwareTitleProductID
	LEFT OUTER JOIN SoftwareTitlePublisher stpub
		ON stp.SoftwareTitlePublisherID = stpub.SoftwareTitlePublisherID
WHERE
	st.SoftwareTitleID < 0
	AND (st.ExtendedSupportUntil IS NOT NULL OR st.SupportedUntil IS NOT NULL)

If you are licensed for and have the EOSL data pack installed, a query like the following can be used to obtain EOSL data from this data pack:

SELECT 
	st.SoftwareTitleID,
	stpub.PublisherName,
	st.FullName,
	Classification = stc.DefaultValue,
	st.ReleaseDate,
	eosl.StartOfLifeDate,
	eosl.EndOfSalesDate,
	eosl.EndOfLifeDate,
	eosl.SupportedUntil,
	eosl.ExtendedSupportUntil
FROM SoftwareTitle st
	JOIN SoftwareTitleClassification stc
		ON st.SoftwareTitleClassificationID = stc.SoftwareTitleClassificationID
	LEFT OUTER JOIN SoftwareTitleProduct stp
		ON st.SoftwareTitleProductID = stp.SoftwareTitleProductID
	LEFT OUTER JOIN SoftwareTitlePublisher stpub
		ON stp.SoftwareTitlePublisherID = stpub.SoftwareTitlePublisherID
	JOIN SoftwareTitleEOSL eosl
		ON eosl.SoftwareTitleID = st.SoftwareTitleID

Additional Information

An enhancement request to expose EOSL data in additional parts of the FlexNet Manager Suite UI has been opened with reference # IOJ-1815981.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Comments
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Is this still the most accurate query to get this information? I'm seeing 5028 titles that have EOSL data and want to confirm this is accurate.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@dbeckner - The query in this article gives insight into the limited EOSL data that is contained within the ARL. If you are licensed for the EOSL data pack and have that data installed, the query discussed in the following thread may be helpful to give insight into the shape of that EOSL data: EOSL information needed.

I've refreshed this article to provide some further clarity and another sample query to access EOSL data pack data.

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Hi @ChrisG 

Not sure maybe a copy paste issue, current two querys will run into issues .

Q1     -- WHERE t.SoftwareTitleID < 0

Q2   -- Classification = stc.DefaultValue

the table alias doesn't exist , see if can be furhter adjusted. 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Kev

ChrisG
Community Manager

Thanks @Big_Kev. I've tweaked the queries which I think will address the particular problems you saw. Hopefully the work for you now!

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Thank you Chris

Kev

sohbinong
By
Level 5

Apoloiges, if this seems to be hijacking on this thread...

With respect to some of the information in the screenshot, may I confirm where is the reference for Oracle 12cR2 - as having End of Extended Support = 1st March 2025 ? 

Thanks in advance. 

ChrisG
Community Manager

@sohbinong - the information in the screenshot in this article is an illustrative example taken from a test data set. The dates shown in the screenshot do not necessarily represent actual dates that appear in the software EOSL data as it is currently published. The particular date you've identified is a good case in point: I don't believe that specific date appears in published EOSL data.

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Hello @dsalter 

May I please confirm if the overnight input from you is just 'personal feedback'?  As the wording such as "If you are on-premise without IT Visibility I would no longer recommend using this data to understand application lifecycle issues. 

While there is still some EOSL data in FNMS ARL DB the data has become depreciated substantially and no longer looks to be maintained across a variety of titles."  is raising a bit of concerns here. The message could impact the customer decides what product to purchase." ... 

In reality, the number of users using ITAM(FNMS) (regardless on-premise or not) can be significantly more than the number of users using Data Platform . The FNMS user could also choose the additional 'commercial' - SLDP -data pack for getting the richer  Software "Date" information.  As for as we know Flexera started the library's content data cross-work a while ago and I was told this will be an ongoing process to sync the content between two libraries ( eg: From this Blog https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Content-Blog/Content-Notification-EOL-Dates-improvements-in-Software/ba-p/208940)

However, your message tells otherwise etc.  Could you please confirm if you have such feeling due to some message you received from Flexera or else ?  particularly the wording such as 'depreciated substantially". ....

Of course if someone from Flexera can officially confirm this for FNMS Data Pack purchased user will be much appreciated. 🙂

Best Regards

Kevin

ChrisG
Community Manager

@dsalter - dates in the Service Life Data Pack in the ARL are definitely maintained and updated. The underlying data used here is actually aligned with service life data that is used in Flexera One ITV, and also Data Platform. A summary of how many records are updated are included in the ARL update notifications that are published each week.

What you may be observing here is that the application records in the ARL represent a different level of granularity compared to Flexera One ITV & Data Platform:

• The ARL application records are typically at a level of granularity suitable for managing software license use cases. As such, a single application record may cover multiple minor versions/releases of software. Each of those minor versions are not represented explicitly in the library, and so in effect service life dates for only one of the minor versions are represented in the data.
  • On the other hand, Flexera One ITV & Data Platform typically model software at a level of granularity intended to support different ITSM use cases. In practice that means the Technopedia library used in these products often models a more detailed level of granularity in terms of versions & release numbers. Consequently you will see a more detailed set of service life data when using those products.

That doesn't mean the service life data in the ARL is not useful for what it is, but in many cases it is not as detailed as you will get from other Flexera products.

erwinlindemann
By Level 9 Champion
Level 9 Champion

For a Flexera conference in June 2022, I did some research on the 'Service Life Data' in FNMS.

I can confirm that the 'Service Life Data' is updated on a regular basis and that it does provide valuable information.

The presentation with my findings (PDF, English, 800 kb) is available for download.

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

@erwinlindemann  awesome slide from Softline Group :P, Thanks for sharing. 

dsalter
By
Level 6

@chriso @Big_Kev  Upon further inspection I found my license for the 'Service License Data Pack' was not renewed leading to the observations I made.  I have deleted my comments.  Thanks for the informative post.  Possibly the article could be updated to state you will need to verify you have a license for 'Service License Data Pack'  to utilize this query to avoid a misunderstanding.  

@erwinlindemann Thanks for the slide deck it was very helpful

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

No worries, glad @dsalter you found a root cause which is a good reminder for all of us to check this license term before it's expired. (If you don't mind I left my comments as is I believe Chris' further inputs are great and can be the answer to people has similar questions....keep the comments consistent rathre than everyone cascade deleting their inputs :)).  

Overall I simply hope this KB's limitation can be lift in the near future as currently only 'Insalled software' page can show 'Dates' info in grid view. @erwinlindemann 's excellent method by using custom fields to sync Dates info so that can be pull from column chooser is all can be easily resolved if Flexera can fulfill this enhancement (make dates info available in 'All Application' page) to make the user life easier :). Apparently the needs to check those software dates are high and as long as the customer is entitled to see them, the tool should provide an easy way to do so. (Considering the cloud FNMS user can't even run SQL query .....).

Lastly, we are pleased to see Flexera content library will on going sync the dates info between the two content libraries, as seeing from the erwin's slides the nunber of rate having EOSL dates are still comparabily low ,so way to go :).   

nagaeendra
By
Level 6

Thanks to @erwinlindemann  for sharing the deck, it's really helpful. At the same time wondering what those other Apps without EOSL dates update  would be and could that cause any drawbacks. We are still struggling with getting EOSL working as expected atleast for us. 

nagaeendra
By
Level 6

Following to my previous update, trying to see if any one here can help,  as  we are having issue with seeing any of the dates which comes in with 'Service License Data Pack' even after ARL/EOSL update being successful, it's not updated on SQL table, so suppose not available on Install Application grid view too, this is on 2022 R1.

ChrisG
Community Manager

Examples of reasons for an particular EOSL data point (that is, a specific field on a specific application record) not being available would be:

• Information for the data point is not available
  • The application record is not classified as "Commercial" (the focus of this data is on commercial applications; around 60% of the applications in the ARL are not classified this way)
  • Research on the particular data point has not been done
Version history
Last update:
‎May 05, 2022 05:35 PM
Updated by: