cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Entity Decides The "Inventory Device Type"?

Hi all ...

Before my laptop received the Flexnet Inventory Agent, its inventory was passed to FNMS using an SCCM Inventory Adapter.  FNMS listed the "inventory device type" as Computer.

Now that my laptop has the Inventory Agent on it (version 2021 R1), the "inventory device type" was changed to "VM Host".

I've noticed this same change for many other laptops in my organization.

Is there something in the agent's NDI file that triggered this change by FNMS? My laptop is a HP ProBook 640 G5, if that helps.

--Mark

(1) Solution
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
Hi
Flexera agent detectsany types od virtualization engines like vmware, linux kvm, oracle virtualbox but the most common that triggers this is that Hyper-V is activated. If it detects virtualization it automatically set to vmhost

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
Hi
Flexera agent detectsany types od virtualization engines like vmware, linux kvm, oracle virtualbox but the most common that triggers this is that Hyper-V is activated. If it detects virtualization it automatically set to vmhost

Vote for the following Idea in Flexera Ideas if you would value some different kind of treatment of computers running Hyper-V:

FNMS-I-355 Classifying user workstations as Computer instead of VM Host even if they have Hyper-V role enabled

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Yeah, I'll vote for that.  There may only be one such system in our environment where a developer is running hyperv services locally on a workstation, but it really threw me for a loop when I first encountered it.  Thanks.

David - NTT DATA Services