cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Server user calculation

How does Flex determine that a user used a specific application on a virtual server. Where is that information pulled from or stored? We are struggling with understanding our consumption on our virtual servers in regards to the users having access to a server versus the Username Flex is listing as someone that has "Accessed" the application. Hopefully that is clear.

Thanks!

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Usage data can come from a range of sources. Some common examples are:

• Metering data gathered by an agent such as the FlexNet inventory agent or SCCM agent
  • Metering data gathered by tool like Citrix EdgeSight
  • Usage details gathered from a SaaS API like Microsoft 365
  • Specialized usage details gathered from particular applications like Oracle Database

If you're focused on metering data gathered by agents, this is typically done by watching and recording details of what processes start and stop on a computer. In the case of a virtual server like a Windows Server, this type of data may be relevant for remote desktop sessions where a user actually remotely logs in to the server and runs processes.

In the case of the FlexNet inventory agent, this data is regularly uploaded by the agent and stored in the inventory database to be subsequently imported & analyzed by the inventory import process. You can see raw details of the usage data that is in the inventory database using the "Raw software usage" page in the UI.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Usage data can come from a range of sources. Some common examples are:

• Metering data gathered by an agent such as the FlexNet inventory agent or SCCM agent
  • Metering data gathered by tool like Citrix EdgeSight
  • Usage details gathered from a SaaS API like Microsoft 365
  • Specialized usage details gathered from particular applications like Oracle Database

If you're focused on metering data gathered by agents, this is typically done by watching and recording details of what processes start and stop on a computer. In the case of a virtual server like a Windows Server, this type of data may be relevant for remote desktop sessions where a user actually remotely logs in to the server and runs processes.

In the case of the FlexNet inventory agent, this data is regularly uploaded by the agent and stored in the inventory database to be subsequently imported & analyzed by the inventory import process. You can see raw details of the usage data that is in the inventory database using the "Raw software usage" page in the UI.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)