cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Adapters to VMware Horizon (with non-persistent VDIs)

Hello,

we are looking for some helpful instructions or "How to ..." document

to implement the new inventory adapter to a VMware Horizon VDI enviroment with non-

persistent VDIs.

FlexNet Manager Suite 2022 R2Inventory Adapters and Connectors Reference(On-Premises Edition) FlexNet Manager Suite 2022 R2 (On-Premises Edition) - Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Adapters (flexera.com)

Could someone support here with addition information?

(1) Solution

@heiko_fuchs2 

Please refer to the following VMware Horizon specific documentation pages that I think will get you started:

Please elaborate on what you eventually found missing if this isn't sufficient.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

@heiko_fuchs2 

Please refer to the following VMware Horizon specific documentation pages that I think will get you started:

Please elaborate on what you eventually found missing if this isn't sufficient.

Thanks,

Hi John,

Looking for some clarification based on the VMware Horizon connection documentation. I'm seeing it references "installing the Flexera agent" on the gold image / template multiple times. But this means every time an ephemeral VM is spun up, a new, full record is created. Is this the intention? I've heard from others that this  becomes "impossible to manage".

What I've seen with other technologies using ephemeral (non-persistent) VDI's, is running the NDTRACK binaries one time on the gold image / template, then relying on the connector from there.

Should the documentation be updated to specify this, or is the recommendation by Flexera, truly to install the full Flexera agent on the gold image / template, and have it run every time a VM is spun up?

@kyle_wolff 

You seem to have found and read a similar thread related to Citrix, and yes I agree, the approach outlined in Advice Needed: Collecting Non-Persistent VMs (Microsoft Azure/Citrix Cloud) also applies here: You do not want to have the full agent installed in the golden image.  Once you have an image, you want to manually run the agent so that you have the full inventory of what is installed on that image, and this is then imported into Flexera to create a new Inventory Device.  You would do this for each of your golden images. And obviously repeat this process every time a golden image is updated.

Thanks,