cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Host Consumption with application listed- Why?

Hi,

My Office - Professional Plus - 2013 - Lic Only - [EA] has a few VM Hosts showing consumption but there is not an Office Pro Plus application installed.  Why is it consuming a license? 

(3) Replies

Hi Crod34

Question regarding to "What triggered the license consumption " we generally start with two mains investigations:

1.What application is associated with the Licenses , see if any unexpected app is linked may coming from the host?

2. What license type we are talking about as it may have different algorithm to get consumption

3. Was the License created by operator manually or it could be created by Office365 import ?

Those are three things to start with 

Cheers

Kevin

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Is it possible that Office Pro Plus is installed on some virtual machines running on these hosts (rather than the hosts themselves), and the license is configured so that consumption rolls up to apply at the host level?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran
Please check the Use Rights and Rules setting in the license for 'Rights on Virtual Machines and Hosts' if this is not set to 'No special virtualization rights' then as ChrisG suggests it is likely that a VM on this host has the application installed but due to the license settings the Host is represented as consuming.

To further validate this - You can open the host inventory device and view all installations (which shows on which vm's software is installed) and see where the licensed apps (presumably Office Pro) are installed. Also in the consumption tab scroll (not filter) to the host - under the host you would see the Virtual Machines linked to the license consumption and the 'Installed' column can assist you in identifying where the installation is.
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)