Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a licence in ITAM

bmaudlin
By Level 9 Champion
Level 9 Champion

Hi Guys 👋,

We have carried out a few licence upgrades recently, and I am struggling to understand what the system is informing me of >

So with this particular example, we have 1 purchase of the below licence that we have upgraded to the latest version.

2022-05-05_15-04-04.png2022-05-05_15-02-50.png

Overall I see a purchase of 1 with the upgrade line showing -1, and this overall licence is mapped to the original purchase of v10.

Now the question is what is the -1 showing me? Should when this upgrade was procured, the licence should have been updated to show it was for v12. Or how should this be processed.

I also have a licence created in the system which shows the latest version, with the upgrade purchase attached.

Ben

(1) Reply

When you process an Upgrade license, you need to specify what license you are upgrading "from", and what license you are upgrading "to".  In effect, you are taking a license entitlement from an older version and "upgrading" that entitlement to a new version/license.

So assume you purchased 15 entitlements for Product ABC version 8.  You have also later on purchased 5 entitlements for Product ABC version 10.  And you now have a Software License for the 2 versions.

You now want to upgrade some of the older version 8 installs to version 10.  So, you purchase an "upgrade" with a purchase quantity of 5.

Therefore, when you process the Upgrade purchase you would select your version 8 license as the "From", and the version 10 license as the "to".  If you have done this correctly, your Version 8 license will now show a Purchase count of 10 (originally 15 but 5 have been removed using the Upgrade purchase).  The Version 10 license will now show a Purchase count of 10 (5 original, plus another 5 from the upgrade).

When you look at the Purchase tab for the version 8 license, you will see the original purchase of 15 licenses, and you will see the Upgrade purchase with a quantity of -5 (total of 10)

When you look at the Purchase tab for the version 10 license, you will see the original purchase of 5 and you will see the Upgrade purchase with a quantity of 5 (total of 10).

If you also open up your Upgrade Purchase and go to the Licenses tab, you will see it linked to the version 8 license with a quantity of -5, and also linked to the version 10 license with a quantity of 5.

Hope this helps?  Please let me know.